Chapter 7

Adam Hargrove sat alone at his kitchen table. A bowl of cereal with sliced strawberries, in front of him. It was his wife's favorite thing to eat for breakfast. It was simple and sweet...just like her. His hand tightened around his spoon and he suddenly lost his appetite.

His phone buzzed and he ignored it when he saw that it was an incoming call from Yvonne. She had been forcing her presence on him a bit more than he expected. He walked over to his living room where a large wedding portrait was displayed.

It had been months since he'd last seen Calista. Living without her had been strange. They'd known one another since they were kids. She had been his first love and now she was gone.

A text message came through. It was from his mother.

Do you have the money? I don't have the payment for the hospital. They won't help your father otherwise.

Adam sighed as he thought of his innocent wife. After they married, they wanted to have kids and start a big family. Now that wasn't possible.

When had life become so complicated?

He looked at his wedding portrait again and frowned before taking it down. Now wasn't the time to feel guilty. He had a plan and he had to stick with it if he wanted his life back. He pressed some buttons on his phone and forced a smile. "Yvonne?"

Anthony Dover, otherwise known as Pop Pop, began his morning slaughtering an Elvis song

"You ain't nothing but I groundhog...dyin' all the time," Pop Pop sang,  spearing his pancakes with a syrup-covered fork. "See, Duckie? These are just the thing you need to make you healthy again. Isn't that right, Roger?"

Roger Lambert was sitting quietly at the large dining table, Calista beside him, plates of peanut butter banana pancakes in front of both them. Calista reached over her dish and grabbed a handful of strawberries, popping one in her mouth.

Roger's eyes widened. "What are you doing?"

Calista's brows rose. "What do you mean?"

"Roger," Pop Pop said.

"Yes, sir?" Roger forced his eyes away from Calista who began eating another strawberry. Pop Pop shook his head at the young man.

"Before you lost your memory, you used to love eating these pancakes," Pop Pop said to Calista. "You'd practically inhale them."

Calista didn't like sweets but it sounded as though Calista Dover did. She touched the gold necklace that bore her name before reminding herself that she had to be more like Calista Dover and less like herself, Calista Hargrove. She smoothed down the long-sleeved dress she was wearing and tugged at the high collar. It was the only outfit in her closet that wasn't too revealing.

"That's it, Duckie. Just take a bite."

Calista forked some of her pancakes and shoved them into her mouth. She smiled as Pop Pop chuckled.