Chapter 11

Calista was tapping a pencil against her desk when Adam exited Sebastian's office. He gave her a wary glance before shaking his head and passing her.

"See you next time," Calista called out to him, a devious smile on her face.

"What was that about?" Sebastian asked, causing Calista to jump.

"You scared me," she muttered.

"Only guilty people get scared like that. Why did you tell him our meeting was cancelled?"

"You heard that?" Calista asked, her cheeks blushing in embarrassment.

Sebastian nodded.

"I would give you a really good excuse...but I don't have one," she whispered. "Maybe I shouldn't work here. It's such a big resp—"

"I knew it," Sebastian sighed. "You were trying to give him a hard time because you thought I'd fire you or give you an out from working at the company. Am I right?"

Calista's brows rose as she thought that explanation over. It sounded good to her so she nodded. "Did it work?"

"Not at all. Calista, you're a Dover, aren't you?"

"I...well—"

"Of course you are." He placed a hand on her shoulder. "Just remember...this company is very important to me. I'll excuse you today but I don't want something like this to happen again. Do I make myself clear?" His grip tightened on her shoulder and Calista nodded.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think about it that way," she mumbled, suddenly feeling like a child who got caught doing something bad.

"I didn't expect you to. With everything that's happened, I need you to work with me on this. I need you to be my support when we're here in the office. As my sister, you can do that, right?"

"As your..."

"Sister," Sebastian repeated.

Calista was about to speak when a loud rumble exploded from her belly. She gasped, placing both of her hands around her stomach. Sebastian laughed, covering his mouth.

"I didn't have breakfast this morning," she admitted.

Sebastian glanced at his Rolex. "It's almost lunchtime. How about we leave a little early and grab something to eat?"

"Can we do that?"

Sebastian couldn't stop himself from smiling. He leaned forward and whispered, "I'm pretty sure your boss won't mind."

Calista rubbed her hands together. "Do I get to choose the place?"

Sebastian nodded. "There are a few restaurants nearby."

Calista shook her head. "No way. I found these!" She opened her desk drawer and pulled out a stack of meal vouchers to the company cafeteria. "Why spend money when we have these?"

Sebastian's smile faltered. "You want to eat here?"

Calista nodded. "Have you ever eaten here before? Is the food not delicious?"

"Those vouchers were for my last secretary. I've never actually eaten here."

Calista plucked two tickets from her stack and waved them in the air. "Let's go."

Sebastian watched Calista as she held the tickets in front of her as though they were winning lottery tickets. He followed her into the cafeteria, aware of all the eyes that followed them. Calista was too focused on the giant menus posted on the walls to notice their audience.