Chapter 27

A week had passed since her trip to the police station. Calista cursed as she looked at the time on her phone. The crowd around the elevator was growing and she'd probably have to wait for the first group of people to use it before she could get on. Roger hadn't bothered to wake her up or take her to work like he usually did. It was Pop Pop who told her Sebastian and Roger had left for an early-morning meeting. It was also Pop Pop who offered to take her to work.

"Don't worry, Duckie. You're a Dover. You can be as late as you want," Pop Pop reminded her, grinning. He was wearing a purple-velvet suit that somehow reminded her of Willy Wonka. Janelle was right behind him, her arms slightly stretched forward in case the old man fell.

"You don't have to escort me upstairs," Calista whispered, grimacing at the looks the three of them were getting from the employees in the main lobby. A few workers nodded their heads in respect when they recognized Pop Pop.

"I want to see where my Duckie works," Pop Pop said. He pounded his cane against the marble floor which caused the group in front of the elevators to break apart. It wasn't everyday that Anthony Dover, the former president of the company, came to the office.

On the ride up, the elevator malfunctioned and stopped in-between floors.

"I hate elevators," Janelle squealed, grabbing Calista's arm.

Déjà vu hit Calista as she remembered something similar happening to her and Adam when he was going through law school. They had been in an elevator, on their way to an interview for an internship. She had surprised him and showed up for moral support. They were alone in the elevator when it stopped.

"This can't be a good sign," Calista said. "Is there enough air in here?"

"Is it getting harder to breathe?" Adam nudged her. "Are you worried?"

"I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't--" Calista bent over and started hyperventilating.

Adam leaned over and started rubbing her back. "Deep breaths, Calista. Take deep breaths."

Calista grabbed his suit jacket. "I can't...can't...can't breathe."

Adam leaned closer. "Remember when we got married?"

She tightened her grip on his clothing, gasping for air. "Can't breathe."

"I said I'd always take care of you. Till' death do us part, remember?"

Calista closed her eyes as she tried taking another breath.

"I'm not ready to die just yet, Calista," Adam whispered as he placed his hands on her shoulders and helped her stand. He pulled her close and felt her hesitation when his lips covered hers. He deepened the kiss the moment he felt her relax. They only parted when they heard the giggling of the people standing outside the elevator doors that just opened.

"We didn't even notice it started moving again," Calista whispered. "What just happened?"

"What happened?" he kissed her forehead. "I just gave you some CPR."

"Some sexy CPR," Calista whispered back.

"Calista?" Janelle shook her friend's shoulder. "Earth to Calista."

Calista looked around to see the elevator had only momentarily stopped and they were at the right floor. Once they were outside Sebastian's office, Pop Pop and Janelle sat down on the plush sofa where Sebastian's guests normally waited.

"Is my grandson not in his office?" Pop Pop asked. "He's probably tormenting his assistant. Duckie, get your phone. Let's take a selfie together."

Calista picked up her phone at the exact same time Roger and Sebastian came strolling through the sliding doors that lead to his office. If Sebastian was surprised to see his aging grandfather, he didn't show it.