Chapter 29

The puce-colored corridors of Resting Care Nursing Home always made Mark Jessup feel uncomfortable. He entered the large dining area where a group of older folks were playing bingo. His blue eyes scanned the crowd before stopping on one man in particular.

"Bingo! I've got a bingo and no one better try and share my prize money!" the older man insisted as he held up his paper card. Despite his enthusiasm, his pearl gray eyes had lost the luster they once boasted.

"Grandpa!" Mark called out from across the dining area, causing the older man to look up. He squinted and grinned.

One of the orderlies handed the older man a bag of candy. "Here you go, Mr. Jessup."

Mitchell Jessup grabbed the candy and scooted his chair back before walking towards Mark. "What brings you here? You miss your grandpa that much? Then you shouldn't have put me in a nursing home, you dumbass."

"Grandpa, you're the one that insisted, remember? You said you wanted to meet ladies your age and--"

"Enough of that!" The older man looked around. "Don't be calling me grandpa either. You make me sound old."

"You are old."

That earned Mark a slap on the shoulder from the older man. It didn't hurt but Mark pretended it did to humor him.

"Owww." Mark rubbed his shoulder, "What are you they teaching you here? Boxing? Maybe I should take you out."

Mitchell Jessup raised his hand and Mark started laughing.

"I'm kidding, Grandpa. I'm kidding."

The older man opened his bag of candy and offered a piece to Mark who pulled out a lollipop. Mitchell did the same and the two sat in a corner of the dining area.

"So, what brings you here?" Grandpa Mitchell asked. "Shouldn't you be working?"

"I took some leave so I can come see you."

Mitchell sneered but Mark knew he was trying not to smile.

"I have a case I'm working on that's been a real tough nut to crack."

The older man's eyes widened. "Well, you came to the right place. Do you know how many murders I've solved?"

"Well, this isn't a murder...not exactly. You see, I had a case involving the Dovers."

Grandpa Mitchell's eyes narrowed and he pulled the lollipop from his mouth. "Stay away from those bastards. Especially if you got yourself a girl. Greedy. That's what they are."

"Grandpa--"

"I'm warning you." he pointed his candy at Mark. "I've dealt with them firsthand. It's because of them that--"

"That what?"

"Nothing." The older man looked away as numbers were being announced for the ongoing bingo game.

"Grandpa, I know you raised me since I was five and I love you for that...but there's something that's always bothered me. Something I just couldn't understand."

"Something you couldn't understand?" Mitchell frowned. "Don't tell me I'm going to have to give you another speech about the birds and the bees, boy."

"Grandpa, I'm being serious here."

"So am I. Why is it that I don't have any great-grandchildren yet?"

Mark silently counted to five before continuing. "Grandpa, before mom and dad were in that accident...I remember something. Something I can't seem to shake."