Chapter 25

The staff cafeteria was a hub of activity. Silverware clinking against trays, staff members complaining about their workloads, and the sound of chairs scraping against the tile floor surrounded Calista. Her stomach gave a timid roar as the scent of meat loaf and mashed potatoes wafted up around her. She scanned the tables until she saw who she was looking for. Janelle had told her the night before that it was time to get the train out of the station. If she planned on becoming Calista Hargrove again, she needed to find out the truth about Adam.

She pushed back her shoulders and marched towards his table. He was sitting with a balding man Calista recognized as another lawyer for the company. Her tray clanged against the white table and she smiled at his surprised expression.

The balding man's eyes widened and he coughed then began choking on a baby carrot. Adam reached over and slammed his palm against his back until the man raised his hands and swore he was fine. He grabbed some water, chugged it down, and stared at Calista.

"Hello." Calista nodded. "Are you okay?"

His head bobbed up and down. "You're Calista Dover, aren't you?"

Calista didn't answer that. Instead she smiled. "I don't think I know your name..."

"Randy!" he said a little too loudly. "My name is Randy. Randy Travis."

"Like the singer?" Calista asked, amusement dancing in her eyes.

"No, I don't sing at all. I mean...I can try to sing but it would sound just awful."

"Well I'm sure you're a great lawyer," Calista offered, causing Randy to blush.

"You're a lot nicer than I thought." Randy grinned. "I heard you were pretty mean."

Calista's smile faltered as she glanced at Adam. His eyes had moved away from her. Slowly, they eased down to her tray and he grinned.

"Ms. Dover, do you like chocolate pudding?" he pointed to the small cup of chocolate pudding on her tray. She knew what he was getting at. The Calista Adam knew loved chocolate pudding. She didn't want to let herself get caught again. She grimaced and shook her head.

"No, I'm not a big fan of chocolate pudding," Calista lied.

Adam gave a lopsided grin, "Then I guess you won't mind if I--" He quickly grabbed her cup of pudding and put it on his tray. Calista frowned, her eyes on the chocolate dessert. She looked up to see Adam's smug expression mocking her.

"You can have my pudding." Randy held up his dessert towards Calista.

Adam quickly reached over and took it. "Didn't you hear her? She doesn't like chocolate pudding."

Calista wanted to ask Adam questions about his relationship with Yvonne but it was obvious she couldn't do that with Randy there. Instead she stood up, picking up her tray to leave.

"Mmmm," Adam practically shouted, eating a spoonful of the pudding. "This is delicious."

"I hope you get diarrhea," Calista muttered, Adam's laughter following behind her.