Chapter 13

"She's the professor's assistant. Can't you try to get along with her?" Adam had both of his hands together while he pled with Calista. They were in the small hall that led to the bathrooms of a local college bar. A random Maroon 5 song was playing overhead. Calista took a deep breath and caught a whiff of pizza. Her stomach growled but she refused to budge on the issue. Adam was wrong and, normally, she wouldn't argue with him...but this wasn't normal.

Her arms were crossed and she was looking away from him. "Why should I?"

"Because you love me and want me to succeed and she's in charge of my grades in class?"

Calista rolled her eyes. "Adam, what kind of professor's assistant asks one of the students to eat dinner with her? I'm telling you she's hitting on you! And it seems as though you like it. "

"No, she's not," Adam groaned. "Why can't you just help me out this one time?"

"I don't like her."

"Why not?"

"Haven't you ever come across a person that you instantly dislike? Maybe we were enemies in a past life. Or maybe I just know that she's going to be a jinx in my life. Whatever the reason I can feel the dislike for her to the tips of my toes. I'm not going to watch her hit on you in front of me."

Adam ignored the strange looks he was receiving thanks to Calista Dover, and glanced at the woman who had just ignited an old memory with his wife. She was talking to Yvonne who looked upset. He placed his plate of food down and picked up his drink before making his way over.

"Owww

"Owww...watch where you're going," Yvonne hissed.

Calista exhaled an annoyed breath.

"Aren't you going to apologize?" Yvonne asked, her voice low.

The hum of polite conversation danced around Calista as she slowly looked around at the rich over-privileged party goers. She caught sight of Sebastian who raised his eyebrows when their eyes met. He gave her a look of concern which she ignored.

"You want me to apologize?" Calista asked, a sneer on her face.

"Shouldn't you? You're the one who wasn't watching where you were going."

"You're right. I wasn't watching where I was going. You were though, weren't you?" Calista smiled.

"Of course."

"Then why didn't you avoid me?"

"Excuse me?" Yvonne pressed a hand to her diamond clad neck.

"Why. Didn't. You. Avoid. Me?" Calista asked as though she were speaking to a small child. "Aren't you more at fault? You had the opportunity to move but you chose to keep walking towards me. Why? Most people would move to the side if they saw someone coming."