Chapter 19

Yvonne Barrette was a high maintenance kind of woman. It was a description she never shied away from or denied. She had been raised by overindulgent parents and was known for always getting what she wanted. For years, she had wanted Adam Hargrove. Even after he had married, she still wanted him.

Sitting in front of her lighted vanity table, her thoughts traveled to Adam. He hadn't called her since he had been released from the hospital. As usual, she had to take the initiative. Yvonne's hands tightened around the expensive bottle of moisturizer when she thought of their phone conversation that afternoon.

"Adam, why were you in a car with Calista Dover? It's been days and you haven't bothered to explain it."

"You're overreacting."

"No, I'm not," she said, her voice rising. "You were in a car with another woman. I thought you and I were in a relationship."

"Yvonne, you know how I feel about--"

"That's all you can say? After everything I've done for you?"

"Everything you've done for me? What exactly are you talking about?" Adam asked.

"Forget it. Just tell me why you two were in a car together. Was it because of work?"

Adam sighed in frustration. "She needed a ride. She's the boss' sister. What else was I supposed to do? Ignore her?"

"Yes. Her name is Calista..."

"So?" Adam's voice was suddenly tinged with annoyance.

"So your wife's name was Calista as well."

"Yvonne--"

"Forget it. Just remember, Adam. You're the one who started this relationship. It's too late for regrets now."

"Ms. Barrette?" a young blonde in a maid's uniform pulled Yvonne out of her thoughts.

"Yes Margo?" Yvonne turned to the maid. "Is something wrong?"

"Your father told me to remind you about the meeting tomorrow morning," Margo said being careful not to upset the temperamental woman.

"Fine. Get out," Yvonne hissed as she picked up her cell phone. The maid scrambled out of the room as quickly as she could. Yvonne heard the door slam behind her and scowled. "Calista Dover, you dare to mess with my man? It too me too long to get Adam to give him up now."

Calista was watching the rubber eraser of her pencil bounce against her desk as she tapped it aimlessly, waiting for Sebastian to give her something to do

Calista was watching the rubber eraser of her pencil bounce against her desk as she tapped it aimlessly, waiting for Sebastian to give her something to do. She was his secretary but he also had Roger as his personal assistant. If Calista was being honest, Roger did most of her work plus his own. She might have felt a bit of pity for him except she was convinced that he had something to do with the real Calista being missing. Had Roger been the one who threatened her while she was in the hospital?