Chapter 8

Janelle Pierce had never seen so much luxury all in one place. Marble floors with swirls of white and gold made up the floor while marble statues decorated the corridor that led to her patient's room. It was a bit gaudy for her taste but still, it screamed rich.

"Is this for real?" she whispered to herself.

"I'm sorry...what was that?" Roger was a few steps ahead of her, leading her towards Calista's bedroom.

"N-nothing." Janelle gave a sheepish smile before lightly slapping her mouth.

"As I was saying, you'll be in charge of Ms. Dover's care. Anthony Dover, her grandfather, is a bit of an eccentric. He refuses to have a nurse assist him."

"Does he need a nurse?" Janelle asked.

"Indubitably. But he refuses to admit it. If he tries to fire you, ignore him. Sebastian Dover is your employer. You are to answer to him."

"What about Ms. Dover? What if she doesn't like me?"

Roger stopped mid-stride. "Doesn't like you? She asked for you specifically."

"She did?" Janelle couldn't help her look of disbelief. "Why?"

Roger tilted his head to the side. "I'm not sure. I thought she knew you. Are you sure you two have never met?"

"No, I think I'd remember meeting someone this rich...I mean..."

Roger smiled. "Don't worry about it."

"So, what's her full name? Other than Ms. Dover? The agency I work for was very hush hush about this assignment. You said Dover but you can't possibly mean Dover as in Dover Industries?"

Again Roger smiled. "That's the one."

Janelle bit her bottom lip.

"You'll be caring for Calista Dover."

"Calista," Janelle repeated, a wave of sadness washing over her.

"Is something wrong?" Roger asked, noting the change in her expression.

"No, not at all. I was just reminded of someone. That's all."

"Well, just remember the rules."

"Rules?"

Roger turned to face her and held up three fingers. "One, you are not to talk to reporters about Ms. Dover. Two, you are not to talk to reporters about Mr. Dover. Three, you are not to talk to anyone about what goes on in this home. Understood?"

Janelle gave a shaky nod. "Got it. This place is like Vegas. Whatever happens here stays here."

"Are you sure you've never met Ms. Dover?" Roger asked again.

"Positive."

Once they reached her room, Roger knocked twice before opening the door. Calista Dover was seated in front of her vanity, a hand on her cheek as though she were examining her face.

"Ms. Dover? Your new nurse is here. As you know, her name is Janelle Pierce. Ms. Pierce, this is Calista Dover." Roger gestured towards Calista.

"Nice to meet you," Janelle said softly, her eyes on Calista.

"Is something wrong?" Roger asked.

"N-no, not at all." Janelle gave a shaky smile.

"Then I'll leave you two alone. Call me if there are any problems," he said before leaving the room.

"Are you okay?" Calista asked. Her voice was low and scratchy.

"I'm fine. It's just that you remind me of someone. Especially your eyes."