Chapter 43

"Jonathan Hargrove, you know why we're here, don't you?" Detective Mark stood above the older man's hospital bed. His partner, Bree, kept her eyes on the patient who was quietly sobbing.

She nudged the bed with her thigh. "Mr. Hargrove, now isn't the time to be emotional. Serious accusations have been made against you."

"By your son, no less," Mark muttered.

"I told you the patient couldn't deal with any stress," the nurse in the room said. She was a petite blonde that normally Mark would've flirted with. Her cold brown eyes and stern mouth told him to stay away. She continued, "You promised you wouldn't worry him."

"I didn't even tell him that his wife was murdered," Mark said, lifting his hands in front of him in an innocent gesture.

"R-Rebecca's dead?" Jonathan whispered. He gasped and groaned as though someone had maimed him. "She's dead? Someone murdered her? You're lying! This is some kind of trick!"

"Mr. Hargrove, please stay calm," the nurse warned him.

"How? How did it happen?" he demanded to know. "When did it happen?"

"We're sorry for your loss, Mr. Hargrove. Unfortunately, it happened here at the hospital. It was a couple of days ago. The doctor's didn't want you to know because of your health but it's important that you know," Bree answered.

"Did you catch whoever did it?"

"We're still trying to find the person responsible for your wife's death. In the meantime, your name came up in another investigation."

"So you don't even know who killed my wife and you aren't working on her case?" The beeping of the heart monitor attached to Mr. Hargrove quickened.

The nurse scowled at both detectives, shaking her head in anger. "That's it. I'm going to get the doctor. You two are going to cause him to lose his life."

"Shall I escort you to see him?" Bree asked, her expression unfazed by the nurse's threat.

"It's a she not a him," the nurse said, straightening her back. "And I don't need an escort, thank you very much."

Bree smiled. "I stand corrected. Still, let me escort you."

The nurse rolled her eyes and stormed from the room while Bree and Mark exchanged a look and nodded. Once they were gone, Mark turned back to Jonathan Hargrove.

"I'll get straight to it. Someone hired Trey Dawson to murder your daughter-in-law, Calista Hargrove. Your son Adam pointed the finger at you. You got anything to say about that?"

"Adam accused me? You're lying! He's my son. Why would I want Calista dead?"

"That's what I want to know."

"I didn't. I would never-"

"We have it recorded- your son naming you. We think it may also have something to do with why your wife was killed, Mr. Hargrove. Are you sure you don't want to tell us what you know?"

The old man took a slow deep breath before closing his eyes and sniffling. "I don't understand what you're trying to tell me."

"Fine. I'll play along. I think you know exactly who hired Trey Dawson. Hell, it might've been you for all I know. Your son said you were guilty. I also think your wife was involved. So, what happened? Was it you? Or did someone hire you? Did someone ask you to hire Trey Dawson? If someone did ask you to hire him, you need to let us know. We think that person may be behind your wife's murder."

"Behind my wife's murder?"

"You could help us. All you have to do is tell us what's going on and we'll have a lead on your wife's killer. Whoever did it, was pretty vicious. She'd want that person caught."