Thanks Gil (Short Story)

This is just what happened to me this morning when I needed a pep talk no one was giving one. I seriously can't thank Gil enough for this...

"Missy, wake up," her mother tried for the second time. "You need to go to school."

"I am up." the girl mumbled, and it was true. Missy had been staring at the wall, her expression emotionless. She'd been up for a good hour, listening to her father gagging and throwing up, which broke her heart. She struggled to find a reason to attend school, yet it was hard to find one. She sat up, her purple bangs (dyed for her aunt's pancreatic cancer.) falling into her face. She bit her lip, wincing a little as she did so. She had been biting the inside of her mouth yesterday non-stop until it bleed each time. Do to this, the inside of her mouth was swollen and stung. She looked at the clock, she'd have to skip breakfast. Her stomach growled at the thought of food, as she didn't have dinner last night. Though she did snack on a few Ritz crackers, so her stomach wasn't completely empty stomach. She thought back to yesterday's events, her good friend having a seizure and collapsing, the worry causing her to have an anxiety attack in science, how the teacher just let her sit there, shaking and sobbing uncontrollably. Luckily, her friend Zoey wrote down all the notes for her. The thought of everything going on made her tear up.

Hey, no crying, a raspy German accent told her.

Her head looked up. "Gilly?" She asked out loud.

Ja, ja, it's Gilly. Don't talk out loud, your mom'll think you're crazy.

She only nodded, hugging her knees to her chest. Life sucks...

Hey, don't say that, Kid! Sure, life's cruel, but you have to pick your head up!

Missy lossened her grip on her knees. A warm feeling filled her, almost as if Gilbert was actually there, only if he existed in her mind. Even if he only was from a silly anime, he was there for her.

Look, your life is pretty sucky right now. But you can't give up. You have to keep going. You're awesome Missy. And you feeling like this is unawesome.

Missy giggled, she could almost see the confident grin he'd give, almost feel how he would ruffle her hair.

I still don't want to go to school though, she complained, what if it gets worse?

And what if it gets better? Gilbert challenged. What if you go to school today, and it changes how you feel for the rest of the week in a positive way. Or what if you go to school and see your friend that went to the hospital yesterday because he's back? Don't you want to say hi? Besides, I think it'd be good for you to get out of the house for a bit. That way your not worrying about your dad.

Missy only nodded, clutching the bedsheets in her hand as if she was holding Gilbert's. She could see his grin widening, even without him actually being there.

Plus you just have to hold on until Sunday, then I bet things will be awesome. Speaking of Sunday, happy early birthday, Kiddo.

Then, her mental image of him disappeared. Tears streamed down her face, this time not caused by sorrow, but happiness.

"Thanks Gil," she whispered to herself.