Old Friends (Short Story)

Alex laid flowers on the three gravestones. Even years later, heck, even a century later, she still visits their graves.

Peyton Ronalds
Warren Smith
Jesse Moore

She still remembers them, even the order she met them in. First, she met Jesse. She met him after he was shot through the heart. Everyone else ignored him, and left him for dead. But Alex tried to help him, even though she was only about twelve and defiantly wasn't a medic. She still remembers the words she said that made him hold on, even for just a little longer.

If you won't hold on for yourself... Hold on for me.

Of course, Jesse realized if he didn't listen he would have mad a kid cry. What kind of a monster does me that. Thanks to her, Jesse was able to live... But only for another couple hours. He passed away in his sleep that night, closed his eyes, never opened them again.

Then, she remembers meeting Peyton and Warren a few months later. She befriended them without knowing they were with the Union, and they didn't know she was a confederate. But, Peyton and Warren had a small frenemy friendship. They loved each other, but they argued over the silliest things. They kind of reminded her of Francis and Arthur.

A few months after they met, they were killed in front of Alex as a punishment to her; befriending the enemy was forbidden after all.

She felt tears run down her face, then, a cold hand on her shoulder. She looked back. It was Warren, standing next to him were Peyton and Jesse. She forced a grin through the tears

"Hey prissies, I brought ya some flowers to look at."