Go, I'll Be Fine (Short Story)

Alex had been involved in the Civil a War for a few months. Fear had already been struck inside her by the generals, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. She tried to run away on day two, so she got beaten when they caught her. They had also cut down her meals to one eight the serving she needed for a week. During this time, Justin had tried to smuggle her a little extra food, and he did. But he got caught eventually and was beat up himself. So Alex refused any other smuggled food. And do to running away and accepting smuggled goods, apparently she couldn't carry around a gun to defend herself anymore, not even a small handgun. So she was downgraded to an old rusty knife.

Can't kill with it, but at least I can leave a pretty bad infection. She thought as she walked into the prisoner tent. She had been put in charge of bringing the new prisoners their meals. When she saw who they were, she was frozen in shock.

"D-Dako? Kota...? Patrick?!" She stared at them, yet she kept her freak out silent.

"What the Hell are you doing here?" the twins ask in unison.

"They're making you fight?" Patrick asked. "That's just cruel."

Alex calmly set the food down, walking over to the three. She drew her knife, causing slight panic. But it shifted to shock when she started to cut the rope the binded their wrist. When the blade finished sawing through the rope, Alex picked up their meal again and held it out to them.

"Go," she told them. "And take the food. You'll need its energy if your running away.

Dako stared at her, he took the food. But he picked up one of the dinner rolls and held it out to Alex.

"And you'll need energy if your making a run with us," he told her.

Alex shook uncontrollably, she knew they didn't have much time before people would suspect something was wrong and come check it out. She'd drag them down.

"Go," Alex repeated. "I'll be fine."

Kota took the dinner roll from his brother, gently placing it in Alex's hands.

"At least keep that to munch on. You look like you really need it."

Reluctantly, the three Union Soldiers looked at each other, then Alex, before running. And their hearts fell into an abyss as they did.