and nothing

Reyna hated storms. She always had, and always would, but at least they provided cover. The waves rose and fell heavily all around her, the ship tossing and turning across the waves, but she could see it, see her target. The British warship was in front of them, and they hadn't been spotted yet. Rain pounded down hard on the deck, she looked over her grew. 11 fully trained fighters, ready for combat against who knows how many soldiers.

"Alright, you know the drill!" she yelled and they nodded nervously. Reyna felt that cold, empty feeling in her chest spike painfully, but ignored it, "the Royal Guard is mine, once we have her, we're out of there. Understood!" she yelled and the crew stared at their shoes. She took a step forward, and suddenly appeared to double in size. "I said, is that understood?!" she screamed and they all jumped back. 

"Yes Captain!" they yelled in unison. 

"Di Angelo, bring us port-side!" she shouted over the howling of the wind. Thunder cracked, lightning flashed, outlining a girl against the black night. Hair spilled over her shoulders like ink, eyes like coal. Her face was hardened, and eyes empty. For so long she had lived like this. Two years. Two years, 11 months, and 19 days since she'd told the British soldier to run. As much as she denied it, she did remember the soldiers name. She remembered everything about her, but forced herself to forget. Forced herself not to imagine what kind of monster she had turned Thalia into. For sweet, kind Thalia would never kill anyone. She refused to believe that she could've become the same thing she had. No, storms can't lose the ability to feel. Storms are wild, reckless displays of nothing, but emotions. There was no way in hell that the Royal Guard was Thalia, but it had to be. It was her sister's dagger. A demon with blue eyes and the speed of lightning. That was Thalia, and that meant that she had turned the last person she had cared for into a monster, just like herself.

Thalia stood in the Captain's quarters, next to Octavian, the British officer had half a glass of wine poured over his shirt, and he was clearly drunk, but Thalia had long since gotten used to the sight.

"Captain, sir. You should go to sleep," she urged the young man, setting a hand carefully on his shoulder, but the man only pulled himself away from her.

"How can I sleep when he's gone!" the captain screamed, and Thalia winced instinctively.

"Sir, I know. You've told me a million times before, but if you don't sleep you'll only be worse off later," she said in a soothing tone, but Octavian slammed his fists against the wall, a loud crashing noise followed as the shelves broke.

"Who gives a damn?! He's gone! Goddammit he's gone! No one cares!" Thalia, swallowed the urged to just pick him up and throw him onto the bed, but this had become a regular routine for them. Ever since Dakota's death Octavian had only been getting worse, but his drinking problem was now so badly out of hand, he was beginning to remind Thalia of someone else. Maybe that's why she stayed, why she had turned down offers to have her own ships and leave Octavian. He reminded her too much of her mother, and she felt guilty for not trying hard enough.

Another crashing noise came, this time from outside the cabin room and the ship shuddered violently. Thalia fell backwards, slamming the back of her head on the deck, while Octavian, drunken and only half standing, poked his head out of the door, and snatched up his gun.

"Octavian!" she called after him and stood. Pirates, why did it always have to be Pirates? She ran to the door as the waves of pirates poured onto the deck almost as heavily as the rain. It was like pure chaos out there, soldiers and Pirates screaming as they fought, but then, in a flash of lightning she saw her, and Thalia's blood ran cold. Reyna. She looked older, her eyes were darker, her face colder, her hat pulled lower, but she knew the moment she saw her who it was, and her heart ached. Her legs trembled with the want to give out, and a noise like a sob made it from her throat. The captain turned and looked her way, and for a moment it was nothing, but eye contact. Emotionless, empty Black eyes, against broken, shattered blue ones. Thalia smiled sadly, and the Other girl'd face hardened, reminding Thalia of a certain Sister of hers. She quietly closed the cabin door and faced the wall.