Chapter 16: Being Hurt Hurts

This chapter is dedicated to [shreyv]! Thanks for your support, girl! It means a lot! :)

------

Chapter 16: Being Hurt Hurts

Clang! "SHE..." Bang! "COULDN'T EVEN..." Shatter! "DEFEND HERSELF!!" Riley screamed on the top of his lungs as my room was currently a battlefield. My glass trophies of all the previous matches of basketball were lying on the carpeted floor; shattered to smithereens. "Arrghh!!" I seethed as I grabbed the nearest thing I could lay hands on and lifted it to throw at the wall. Why was I so pissed? I guessed it had a lot to do with Caroline but also the secret about Abigail's pregnancy. I couldn't bear to think that she suffered for 9 months and I wasn't there by her side to help her in any way!

"NO!! NOT THE RECENT TROPHY, KEVIN!!" Riley yelled as he leaped on me and snatched the trophy from my trembling hands. I heard him cursing as he placed the trophy away gently.

As soon as he regained his stance, I furiously grabbed his collar and tugged him forwards. "What the..." He swore as I hissed. "Did you even give her a chance to speak?? Did you give her a fucking chance to explain, Riley??!!" He snorted as he pushed my hand away. "A chance??!! Are you fucking kidding me??!! She doesn't even deserve anything!! What would she explain anyway?? We already knew what she was up to. Or should I say I knew what she was up to?? In the beginning when you told me how crazy you had gotten about her, I realized that probably you had finally found the right girl for you. The one who would always love you no matter what! But hell was I wrong!! That day hasn't come in your life yet. So stop desperately searching for it!! When I heard the rumours, I brushed it off just like you did. But it has intensified now!! Hasn't it??

"A girl who you so earnestly believe would never betray you has turned out to be what the media calls her now! Hayden Albert's girlfriend!" He sneered.

"SHUT UP!!" I roared as he huffed in annoyance.

"Hurt, are we?? Truth hurts, Sanders. Really bad. Anyhow, listen to your best friend for once. The guy who has stood up for you on numerous occasions. Your brother." He whispered.

I looked away. "She was never meant to be yours. Period. Don't tell me it all happened in one fucking day and then she went away and you guys promised to continue liking and trusting each other??!! Which century are you in?? It was obvious she would have a fling in London!! Like, hello!! After all, she's a stunner and no matter how great you're, you'll always be the blind boy like how many others think of you. The time hasn't come for someone to look beyond that side of you. Trust me. And if this hurts, then man up. You need all the encouragement to face this harsh two-faced world and I'll always be right behind you. I got your back!"

Tears filled my eyes at his words. They were blunt and they hurt. Like hell!! But he said the truth and that was what I loved about Riley. He never sweetened the bitterness.

I started doubting myself. The lovely moments I shared with Caroline seemed like shattered pieces of glass trying to fit together. I was devastated and sadly to say, I could no longer trust her. In the beginning, I had brushed off all the rumours. I was also expecting her call to fill me in with the details about this sudden drama but she never did. I tried calling her but she never responded. Whether she was innocent or not, it didn't bother. For now I was seething in anger at her betrayal. Was I expecting too much from the relationship to end up in a state like this?? It could be true. After all, it was too good to last.

All was silent for a while and the only sound heard was of our shallow breaths.

"Can I tell you something, Kevin?" Riley asked after sometime.