Chapter 25: Finale

I'm so sorry for not posting this chapter yesterday like I was supposed to! I was busy. Anyway, this chapter is dedicated to [infinity_24]! Thank you so much for adding my book to your reading list! :) 

-----------------------

Chapter 25: Finale

Convocation day! I was officially done with high school! Where was the excitement? Where was the enthusiasm? Down buried in some rare chasm, I guess.

"Kevin! We're to leave in half an hour! Go get fresh!" Mom yelled from inside the house. Damn! She was loud! She broke a house rule!

"Kevin, we should leave." Jon urged, sounding panicky.

"Just one more shot." I replied, my concentration on my dribbling.

Ball...Hoop

Ball...Hoop

Left...right

Jump! Dunk! In went the ball!

Claps were heard from behind me. I spun around to face the person.

"That was a good shot, son! You like to vent out your frustration like this? Helps, doesn't it?" Dad asked, his footsteps nearing to where I was standing.

How did he realise I was frustrated? I had made sure to look as calm and composed as possible on all the days that followed after 'the call'! Wow! Seems like I did a crap job at acting normal!

"Yeah..." I replied, spinning the ball on my finger.

"Forget all the problems and enjoy this day, Kevin. It's your day! You need to celebrate! And yes, you don't want your mother to have an outburst now, do you? She's already hyperventilating on how late we can get! I suggest you go get fresh, boy!" Dad stated while patting my shoulder.

I nodded and gave him a smile. He was right. I should enjoy this day! "I'm off!" I told him and handed him the ball. I walked towards the house with Jon in tow not before hearing the ball swoosh in and dad's, "Who's the man now?!". Guess it ran in the blood...

+ + +

"Kevin..." I got startled by the voice. What was my mom doing in my room when I was just in a towel?!

"Yeah?" I asked.

"I...I've your clothes laid out for you on your bed. This is my selection and I know you'll like it!" She chirped. I internally groaned. This was going to get damn emotional!

I grinned at her. "Thanks, mom. I'll wear it and be down in 15."

She kissed me on the cheek and left.

It had been 10 days since our exams got over. They were good. I got straight As in all of them and a B in Calculus. Never mind that. I was anyway going to Yale! I was approved!

It had been almost 11 days since I last talked to Caroline. '11 days since you became single and not ready to mingle.' My conscience reminded. I internally slapped myself. My conscience was right. I had not moved on. I just couldn't! I still felt we had a chance but every time I would think like that, I used to lose hope immediately. I was expecting way too much! Abigail did not know about all that had happened. I didn't want her to get paranoid and worried because that would've definitely been her reaction! As for Riley, he never mentioned anything about Caroline but often asked me how I was doing.

The talks of Caroline and Hayden seemed to die down too. I wondered what had happened, but I wasn't getting too hopeful...

Someone knocked on the door.