Chapter 35: Just Like How It Was

****3rd Person's POV****

"I'm rooting for you! Victory will be yours, Kevin!" Kevin smiled while putting his clothes in the locker, his phone nestled in between his left ear and shoulder.

"Boys, 5 minutes and the game begins!" Coach announced as he walked into the room and stared at all of them. His eyes landed on Kevin and he gave him a firm nod. Kevin gulped on his saliva and cleared his throat before glancing away. 5 minutes until his team and he had to give their all for the match.

"Carol? The match begins in 5 minutes and I really need to prep the team. I'll talk to you later, okay?" Kevin rushed, hurriedly. All his team mates were either doing some last-minute warm-ups or were downing little swigs of water. Riley came to his side and stuck out his hand for the phone.

"Oh-oh, yes! I'm sorry. I'll hang up. Good luck and I love you!" She gushed without pausing.

Kevin blushed at that, slightly.

"I love you too. Bye."

Riley playfully rolled his eyes and gestured Kevin to hand him his phone. Kevin hung up and tossed his phone into the locker.

Christmas break was over a week back and the matches that Kevin was gearing up for had finally begun. Everyone on campus was startled at the sight of Kevin as soon as he stepped in and he was praised for his guts. Carol, Aaron and Abigail had left for London early in the evening yesterday and it hurt Kevin to see Carol leave because he really wanted her to be there to cheer for him for his first serious match in university, his first match played with sight. He couldn't be selfish, though, since the 3 of them had extended their leave by 6 days and they had to get back so as to avoid any repercussions. Lauren couldn't make it to the match either because she had a lot of work to do.

Plus, Aaron and Abigail had to get back to Celeste and their parents' were asking for them.

Kevin smiled sheepishly at Riley who gave him an encouraging pat on the shoulder.

"Don't you worry. We'll ace this." He said.

Kevin huffed in anticipation. They were playing against the boys of University of Connecticut and they had to maintain the legacy that Yale had. He felt the same jitters that he had felt while playing his final match in senior year. Today, he had to prove his worth.

He had to prove his worth as a captain.

He had to prove his worth as someone the university made a right decision to sponsor.

He had to prove his worth as someone who would play as magnificently with sight as he did without.

A lot was at stake.

"Alright, you guys. This is it. We've been preparing for this day right from the beginning. If we lose here, we officially lose our chance to participate in the forthcoming matches. The reputation of Yale is at stake. We're the newbies but we need to make sure Yale is proud of us at the end of this match. Let's not make our hard work go to waste. Are we clear?" Kevin questioned, aloud, eyes roaming around the faces' of his team mates who were all huddled together.

"Yes, captain!"

"C'mon, guys! Let's do this!" Riley cheered and the boys began streaming out of the room, whoops all the way.

Kevin watched them walk away, one by one, and his heart started beating faster and a little frantically as the last team member walked away, leaving behind Riley who was staring at Kevin with arms folded across his chest.