Can't help falling

It was summer. He saw her sitting beneath a tree, book in hand and her eyes scanning the pages. Her hair was tucked behind her ear, her legs bounced to the rhythm of the music playing softly in the background. She looked so peaceful. He wanted to wave, to say hi, to talk to her for hours under the tree. But instead he kept walking, looking down and letting his white hair fall over his eyes. He would talk to her some other day.

She sat under the tree, her eyes floating over the letters of the pages. She couldn't concentrate, not when he was watching. A red hue covered her cheeks when she glanced up, their eyes almost meeting. His crimson eyes seemed distant somehow, sad. She wanted to put her book down and go talk to him, talk till night and just get to know each other. But he was gone when she looked back up, along with her opportunity. She would talk to him another day.

He lay on his bed, a pencil in his hand. The coal brushed over the paper, leaving a light grey trace. He glanced up every so often, taking in every detail. She was reading again, a different book this time. She was sat on the roof of her house, her hair in a loose braid and her reading glasses perched on the bridge of her nose. Her flannel shirt was tucked into her jeans and the sleeves were rolled up to her elbows. Her sneaker clad feet dangled over the edge, swinging back and forth. A small smile graced her lips as she read, her face showing pure joy. He knew he could never capture her beauty, but he tried his best anyways. She sat there for hours and he kept drawing, trying his best to get every single detail right. The way her hair curled at the end of the braid, the way her eyes shimmered with joy, the way the small smile never left her lips, everything. And then he was finally finished, just before she closed the now finished book and stood up, carefully walking over the roof and climbing into her room through the window. He hadn't gotten the chance to talk to her yet, but he would some day.

She had a small smile as she opened her window, grabbing her new book and climbing with it out onto the roof. She had been waiting all day to read it, so when her feet were dangling over the edge of the roof and her fingers were softly tracing the pages, she couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips. She glanced up when she heard a door shut in the house next to her's. A blush coated her cheeks when she saw him. His white hair was messy and his crimson eyes were shining in the sunlight. He looked exhausted though, his posture slumped and his eyes half lidded. She looked back down, continuing to read. She felt him stare at her a few moments later before she heard a drawer open and some rustling. She glanced up again to see him holding a sketchbook and a pencil. She smiled before she continued reading yet again. She wanted to talk to him, but she was too scared. So she just read as she felt his gaze on her, and before she knew it she had finished the book and it was almost time for dinner. With a sigh and a stretch she stood up after closing the book, carefully walking back to the window and climbing in. She hadn't talked to him that time, but she would sooner or later.

He wasn't supposed to be awake that night. He had gone to bed hours before, but for some reason he just couldn't fall asleep. He tried everything, drinking tea and milk, counting sheep, reading, everything he could think of, but nothing seemed to work. He finally gave up, standing up and grabbing his sketchbook along with his phone, headphones and pencils. He sat down on his bed, his back against the wall and his sketchbook resting on his legs. He heard it then. He wasn't sure what it was at first, but then he heard it. He stood up, the book dropping onto the floor as he walked over to his window. She was there, sitting on the roof once again. She was hugging her knees to her chest, her face buried in between them. He heard the quiet sobs as her shoulders shook. She was crying. He didn't know what to do. He wanted to help her, to talk to her, but he didn't know what to say. He opened his window, swinging one leg over the edge and the other after. She looked up at the noise and his heart broke at the sight. Her eyes were red and puffy, her cheeks tearstained and her shoulders shaking from her uneven breathing. He looked down the gap between the roofs at the two story drop. He wasn't scared though. He backed away before he leaped over, landing on her roof with a thud. He chuckled and she joined him, but the tears were still streaming down her face. He sat down next to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer. She buried her head in his shoulder and he could feel the tears soaking into his shirt. He didn't know what to say, but in that moment, he didn't need to say anything.

She slammed her door closed, leaning on it for support as the tears began to stream down her cheeks. She heard her parents yelling at each other downstairs, and it made the tears come faster. She wanted out. She wanted to leave and never come back. Her shoulders stared to shake and her breathing sped up. She rushed across the room and opened the window, practically jumping out onto the roof. She sat down in her spot and just let go. She didn't care if people could hear her, it didn't matter. She just blocked it all out. She wanted to be happy, why couldn't they just let her be happy? She looked up quickly when she heard a window open. He was there, clumsily climbing out of his window and onto the roof. She watched as he backed away before leaping over onto her roof, landing with a thud next to her. He chuckled at his clumsiness and she joined him, but the tears didn't stop and soon enough she was a sobbing mess again. He smiled sadly and sat down next to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer. She buried her head in the crook of his neck and just cried. She didn't say anything, and neither did he, but it was okay, there was nothing that needed to be said, not in that moment.

She was sitting by the window when he got home, once again flipping through the pages of a brand new book. He chuckled to himself and opened the window with a smile. She glanced up and smiled when she saw him. She put the book down and grabbed her notebook, signaling for him to get his. He grabbed it quickly before sitting down by the window.
How was your day?   She wrote and pressed it against the glass. He wrote a quick reply and smiled.
Okay I guess, I finished the book  She smiled when she read it and turned to her notebook.
And? What did you think? He didn't even need to think before he replied.
The book was amazing, and I loved the characters and the plot, but the end was such a cliffhanger! I need more! She giggled as she read it.
Sorry, but the author said there wouldn't be any more. It was supposed to have loose ends and he never meant to tie them, which leaves us to just suffer.  He chuckled and nodded.
Did you apply to a college yet? He waited patiently as she replied.
Yeah, but I'm not telling you which one. I'm probably not getting in anyway so there is no need for you to know. He scoffed.
You're the smartest person I know, you're getting in no matter what school it is.  She smiled sweetly.
I gotta go, talk tomorrow? He nodded and they put their books away. He watched as she walked out of the room, probably walking down the stairs to eat dinner with her family. With a sigh he sat back down on his bed, resting his head on the wall and closing his eyes. He didn't get the chance to tell her that he loved her, not that day. He would though, as soon as he could, just not that day.

She smiled when she saw him open his window. She immediately got out her notebook, excitement running through her. She was going to tell him, tell him that she had gotten accepted into her dream college. But as the conversation moved along she realized just what telling him would mean. She wouldn't be telling him that she got accepted into a good college with a good writing program, but something much worse. She felt a pit in her stomach and her smile vanished. She wrote that she had to go before she left, closing the door behind her. She couldn't do it, not that time. She would eventually, she had to or it would break his heart, just not that day.

He couldn't believe this was happening. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. There was a note taped to his window when he got home and of course he read it. A decision he was regretting.

Dear Juuzou,
I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to tell you this earlier, but I got accepted into a college. It's a great one, honestly, with one of the best writing programs in the country. Only problem is that it's on the other side of the country, which means I'll be moving out along with my mom. My dad is staying in the city, but he's moving out of the house as well. I was going to tell you a while ago, but I didn't want to hurt you. I'm sorry, and goodbye.
-(y/n)

The letter broke his heart, but what really hit him was when he looked into her room. There was nothing there, completely empty. She had left without giving him anything other than a letter. It hurt like hell.

It cut her to the core to have to leave him. She was excited about going to college, of course she was, but it wouldn't be the same without their stolen glances and late night talks. That was all she could think about as they drove down the street, their suitcases in the backseat. She leaned her head against the window, raising the volume of her music. Her mother left her alone for the rest of the ride to the airport, and she was thankful, she just wanted to be alone with her thoughts. It broke her heart to leave him. She had never even heard his voice, and she never would.

To be continued...