Sleep softly

It was all quiet. Oh so quiet. She sat there, motionless. He was gone. He wasn't coming back. It made everything feel frozen, void, unimportant. Nothing mattered anymore. He was gone. He wasn't coming back. She could still see it flashing before her eyes. Her everything. She could still hear his heart stop. It was on repeat in her mind, tormenting her, stopping her from thinking about anything else. There was a war. But it was over now. They won. But she didn't. How could she say she had won when she had lost him? It just didn't work that way. She had thought it would be painless. She had thought she had built her walls up high enough. Stupid bastard and his grappling hook. She could still see the sword stabbing through his chest. Still hear his words, telling her that it was okay. That she had to keep fighting. She couldn't get it out of her head. She could still feel the blood on her hands. Still hear her screams as she tore through the people who had dared lay a finger on him. Lucky had said once that when someone you love dies, they don't die alone. You lose a part of yourself. She agreed with him. A part of her died that day. Everything died that day. And now she sat there, surrounded by bodies. She held him in her arms, clinging onto his lifeless body with all her might. She sniffled and closed her eyes, letting her mind freeze for a bit along with everything else. It wasn't okay. Nothing was okay. He had promised. He had promised to save her when she felt the world swallowing her whole. He broke his promise.