A peculiar story Utaxreader

Requested by @Sadistic_Sweetheart thank you so much for this request it really inspired me!
Btw this is a Tokyo ghoul/ Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children crossover but you don't have to have read the books! I myself have recently finished the series and I was really inspired by them so ya. But the books are amazing and I highly recommend them!! And there is like a whole playlist basically that matches perfectly with this story so I will give you a tiny list:
Tabi no tochuu-Ama Lee
New world coming-Dísa
Halsey-New Americana
Ruelle-Until we go down
Wolves without teeth-Of monsters and men
Owari no seraph OST
Melanie Martinez - Crazy (from the voice)
And have fun reading this! I really like it and had a lot of fun writing it so I hope you like! (Picture of what Uta looks like above, below is a picture of a Harpy eagle)

 But the books are amazing and I highly recommend them!! And there is like a whole playlist basically that matches perfectly with this story so I will give you a tiny list:Tabi no tochuu-Ama LeeNew world coming-DísaHalsey-New AmericanaRuelle-Until...

He sat by the beach that day. The day she found him. The day he met others like him for the first time. He sat on a large rock, staring out at the sea with his black and red eyes. Birds flew high above and the sun beat down on his pale skin. His hands were bloody, skin under his black nails and scratches running up his arms to his neck. His gaze was cold and hard, but inside he was close to breaking. He didn't understand what was happening to him. Why was he doing these things, killing innocent people. Eating their flesh. He was disgusted with himself, but he couldn't stop himself. He nearly fell over when he heard a rock shift behind him, shooting up and spinning around. She stood there, a smile on her face. Her (h/c) hair framed her pretty face and her (e/c) eyes shimmered in the sunlight. Her smile was a kind, welcoming one, one that made him feel he could trust this strange girl.
"Hello Uta." Her voice was smooth and kind, matching her smile. He backed away, his brows furrowing and a frown forming on his lips. She raised her hand, seeming to know what he was thinking.
"Never mind how I know your name, it doesn't matter at the moment. What matters is we need to get you out of here and to a safe place." She held out her hand for him to take.
"How do I know I can trust you?" He asked, his voice as cold as his face, but she could hear the curiosity in it. She smirked.
"You don't. Now come on, we don't have much time." He closed his eyes for a bit and took a deep breath. Then he took her hand. He didn't have anything to loose. Not anymore. Her smile brightened and she turned, starting to walk towards the woods behind them, dragging him behind her. Turns out that was the best choice he could've made. She led him deep into the woods, walking past a large wreckage. It looked like it had been a magnificent house long ago, but now it's walls had crumbled and fallen to the ground, leaving nothing but a pile of stone. They kept walking until they reached a mountain deep inside the woods. She smiled at him, squeezing his hand reassuringly.
"Almost there." He nodded, in awe at this strange girl. As they walked he started to notice her clothes. They looked vintage, a black and navy blue victorian dress that went down to her ankles, black boots and a black ribbon in her hair. They had climbed for about half an hour when they stopped in front of a small cave. She crouched down and started going inside, but stopped when she noticed he wasn't following. She spun around, raising a brow.
"Are you coming?" He backed away.
"Not before you tell me who you are." She chuckled at his hard tone when she looked back up the teasing smirk was back on her lips.
"I'm (y/n) Harpy. I'm the ymbryne of this loop." Now he was even more confused.
"I'll explain everything when we get there. Now come on, we don't have all day." She started walking again, turning once again when he didn't follow.
"Come on!" He snapped out of it then, crouching down and following her into the cave. They walked until the cave opened on the other side into a large clearing, walking through the woods and over a small creek, under low branches and into another clearing where (y/n) finally stopped. His eyes widened at the sight. A large house was in the middle of the clearing, painted a pastel blue with a black roof. Flowerbeds were scattered around the clearing along with large trees, an apple tree with red apples growing on its branches, a cherry blossom in full bloom, it's pastel pink petals going well with the magical air of it all. Pastel seemed to be a popular thing at the house, with the window frames painted a pastel purple and the railing of the balcony a pastel pink. He counted four children in the clearing. Two young boys ran around chasing each other, wooden swords and shields in hand. A little girl was sat under the cherry blossom, a book in her lap and a cat on her shoulders, rubbing against her and licking her cheek. Another boy sat in the branches above her, swinging his feet and chatting with the girl who occasionally mumbled a response to his ramblings. (Y/n) turned to look at him, a smile on her face and arms spread wide, gesturing to the clearing.
"Welcome to my loop."
*
Dinner that night was more than awkward. The kids bombarded Uta with questions, asking where he came from, how old he was, why he had been covered in blood when he arrived, but most of all what his peculiarity was. When that question came up he looked to (y/n), or Miss Harpy as everyone called her. She had smiled curtly at the children and said it was a private matter which he was not ready to discuss, and that he would tell them when he was ready. He was grateful for that. The children nodded and continued with their meal, chatting with each other and smiling. They were seven altogether, four boys and three girls. The oldest were a girl called Mary and a boy called Arnar who were both fifteen, but the rest were all younger. The youngest was the girl he had seen reading outside, but he had yet to find out her name. After dinner the children dispersed to go do whatever they wanted and Miss Harpy lead him to her office on the second floor. She closed the door behind them and gestured to a seat in front of a big desk, gesturing for him to sit down. She sat down as well, sitting on her legs with her head resting on her palms, her elbows propped up on the table.
"You have some questions for me?" She said, her face expressionless, her hair falling into her face. He nodded, taking every bit of fear and doubt and shoving it deep inside of him, leaning forward in his chair.
"Where are we?"
"Just outside of London, 16/11 1896."
"What?" He said earning a small smile from (y/n).
"Remember what I said earlier, about this being my loop?" He nodded.
"A loop is like a box. The entrance to my loop is through that cave. When you enter a loop you enter the box, inside of which is a repetition of one day. My loop is 16/11 1896, which is the day that repeats here over and over, enabling everyone who lives inside of it to live forever." Uta raised a brow. The situation was starting to clear up, but it was all so surreal.
"What's the catch?"
"If you leave the loop after staying for long you begin to age forward after about two days, meaning all the years you spent in the loop begin to catch up with you."
"So if I stay here for fifty years and then leave I'll have aged fifty years after two days."
"No, it just starts after two days. It takes around four for all the years to catch up, but it depends on how long you've been in the loop."
"Can anyone make a loop?"
"No, only ymbrynes."
"What's that?"
"An ymbryne is a female peculiar who can shift into a bird and make loops."
"Why can't they be male?"
"Only females can make loops."
"Why?" She smiled.
"I don't know, it's just how it is."
"You said something, a peculiar?"
"A peculiar is a being with extraordinary abilities, like being invisible or able to fly or-"
"Or having to eat human flesh to survive." She smiled again, nodding.
"So I'm a peculiar?"
"Yes, otherwise you wouldn't be here as only peculiars can enter loops." He stopped, letting it all sink in. (Y/n) sat patiently, waiting for his next question. They sat in silence for a while as Uta pondered his next question.
"Why am I like this?" His voice was shaky and he looked down, staring at his bloody hands. She smiled sadly, standing and walking to the large window and looking out. The sky was a bright blue, not a cloud in the sky. The children were all outside, three of them chasing each other around in a game of tag. Arnar and Mary sat under a large oak together, their hands intertwined and Mary's head resting on Arnar's shoulder. Kristin, the girl who had been reading beneath the cherry blossom, was now sat on a white bench with a stack of books besides her, talking to the same boy who had been sitting in the tree, Lawrence.
"Some say peculiars have a second soul which is the source of their abilities. Others believe we are cursed. Some even believe we are gods. I say believe what you want, it doesn't change anything."
*
"Everyone gather please! It's almost time and as we have a guest, we should give him a show!" The children had all gathered in the backyard, excitement etched into their smiling faces. Arnar and Mary stood side by side, holding hands as per usual he had heard. Kristin sat in the grass near a tree and Lawrence sat with a smile in the lower branches, occasionally glancing down at Kristin with a toothy grin. Uta nudged Arnar's shoulder.
"What's the deal with Kristin and Lawrence?" Arnar looked over to where the two children were, smiling and whispering back.
"They were found together a few years back. Kristin was in pretty bad shape and Lawrence had been taking care of her, protecting her until miss Harpy found them. They haven't left each other's sides since." Uta nodded, looking back up at the darkening sky like the rest of the group.
"So, is there something supposed to happen or?"
"Shh." (Y/n) hissed, holding up her finger but not taking her eyes off the sky. He sighed, looking up at the sky once again. Then something happened. A bright light flashed in the sky, nearly blinding him. (Y/n) laughed beside him, holding out a pair of sunglasses for him to take.
"Sorry, this might help." He chuckled, taking the glasses and putting them on. Another flash. Another. It was lighting according to Luca, one of the kids he hadn't met yet. Soon the flashes were so bright they lit up the whole clearing, bathing everything in magnificent silver light. That's when he noticed. He glanced down to see (y/n) with a bright smile. Her hair was tucked behind her ear and her eyes were full of life, a pure (e/c). It started pouring then, and he knew he would never forget that moment. He noticed a watch in her hand. It was a small pocket watch, gold and glistening in the light. She turned the pointers, making the scenery chance. Uta froze and watched in awe as the sky shifter from cloudy night to cloudless day to a starry night, the moon full and lightning the group up. She tucked the watch into her pocket before clapping her hands and sending the children off to bed. Alexandria and Alexander, identical twins with the abilities of mind control and telekinesis, ran up the steps with Luca right behind them, laughing and yelling cheerfully. Lawrence climbed down from the tree and landed with a gentle thud next to Kristin who flinched at the slight noise. Lawrence smiled sheepishly and apologized before holding out his hand for Kristin to take. He hadn't noticed before but her hands were concealed in black gloves up to her elbows.
"Why is she wearing those gloves?" Uta asked when (y/n) came back to his side.
"It's a precaution. Anyone who touches her hands dies a painful and sudden death, so she rarely lets anyone touch her. Except for Lawrence."
"What's his peculiarity?"
"He's indestructible. No matter how many times you stab or shoot him he heals instantly."
"And what about the others?"
"Mary can manipulate fire. Arnar can manipulate blood. Luca can shape-shift into any animal that has ever existed."
"These all sound pretty dangerous." Uta said, looking up at the stars shimmering in the sky.
"That's exactly why they are all here. They bring the most dangerous peculiars to me."
"Why?" She shrugged.
"I've always been good at handling them." He paused.
"Does that mean I'm one of the dangerous ones?" She nodded.
"But it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Everyone here is also part of the strongest in the peculiar world. They are the worst of the worst, the strongest of the strong, and I'm here to teach them to embrace it. Some cases are harder, like Kristin." He nodded, following (y/n) up the stairs and into a spare bedroom.
"There are clothes in the closet, you can probably find your size. There's a bathroom down the hall where you can wash your hands and you know where the kitchen is. If you need anything just knock, my room is at the end of the hall." He nodded and returned her smile before she closed the door. He listened as her footsteps retreated further down the hall, a door opening and her soft voice telling the children to go to sleep. He chuckled and stripped his clothes, curling up in bed and closing his tired eyes.
*
He woke with a start the next morning. His eyes were wide and his body was soaked with sweat, the consequences of his nightmares. He stood up, running his hand through his damp hair and tying it up. He opened the closet and glanced through the old fashioned clothes, picking the ones that looked most comfortable and throwing them on before exiting the room, washing his hands quickly before going downstairs. The children were all sitting in the lounge, listening intently as (y/n) told them about the days plans. She turned when she heard him enter, a smile gracing her features.
"Uta, please sit." She said, gesturing to an empty spot next to Luca. He nodded, walking over and returning Luca's smile as he sat. (Y/n) clapped her hands, her smile replaced with a stern look that didn't quite reach the rest of her features.
"Now, first things first. Kristin and Lawrence, you are assigned to go down to the village and get some nicer food and drinks, and some snacks for both the rest of the children and our guests." The two nodded, a determined look on Kristin's face that made Lawrence grin widely and ruffle her dark curly hair.
"Luca, you scout the area for anything suspicious." Luca smiled and stood up, walking out of the room and into the yard.
"Arnar, go into the woods and fetch firewood. Mary, Alexander and Alexandria and Uta, you clean the house and make everything ready for the day." The three left nodded, glancing to Uta with smiles.
"Now hurry up. I'll be back before lunch, and please get Uta some breakfast."
"Sure thing Miss H." (Y/n) rolled her eyes before walking out of the house and into the woods.
*
Three hours later and they were finally done, the five of them sitting slumped in the lounge. Uta was sitting on the floor, his head thrown back and his back against the front of the sofa. Mary lay with her head in Arnar's lap, his fingers combing through her bright red hair. Alexandria and Alexander both sat on a large comfy chair, back to back and their heads resting against each other. All of them were filthy with soot and dirt except for Arnar, who had been sitting there when they got there, having already fetched the firewood. They sat in silence, just the occasional murmur breaking the silence. Uta stood after a while, stretching before telling the children he was going to look around the yard and nearby forest for a bit. They all nodded, some telling him to be careful before flashing him tired smiles. He closed the door behind him and walked down the steps and into the yard, looking around with a small smile. The place was absolutely stunning, and he had a feeling it would never be any less beautiful to him. The colors gave it such a mystical feeling and the trees and forest made it look like something straight out of a book. He walked around the clearing, his fingers trailing the bark of the cherry blossom. He walked into the forest, the sun shining through the thick leaves. He looked around as he walked, listening to the birds chirping and the light breeze blowing through the trees. He stopped suddenly, holding his breath and listening carefully. Voices. He listened closer.
"Did you find him?" A man.
"Yeah, he was where you said he'd be." He raised his brows. Miss Harpy? He took a step forward, flinching when a twig snapped under his foot. He heard ruffling noises before the branches in front of him moved away. In front of him stood (y/n), her brows raised and a smirk on her lips. The man he had heard stood behind her, leaning against a thick tree trunk with his arms crossed over his chest. He had thick white hair held from his face with red pins that matched his intimidating eyes. He was wearing a dark cloak, the hood pulled up over his head.
"Having a look around?" (Y/n) said, placing her hand on her hip and flashing him a toothy grin. He nodded, his eyes flashing quickly to the man before meeting her (e/c) eyes again.
"We should get back to the house." She said, gesturing with her hand behind him. He nodded and turned, not looking back when she didn't follow right away. He heard muffled voices before footsteps came toward him and (y/n) was by his side, her hands swinging at her sides as she walked. They arrived back in the clearing after a silent walk. (Y/n) excused herself to go into the house while Uta trailed to the backyard, sitting down on a bench next to a small greenhouse.
"Could you move?" He jumped at the voice, his eyes shooting toward the speaker. Kristin stood in front of him, a stack of books in her gloved arms. He nodded slowly, moving to the other end of the bench. She sat down as far away from him as she could, placing the stack of books between them and taking the top one, opening it where a bookmark was placed. They sat in silence for a while, Uta watching curiously as she flipped the pages of the book, her eyes scanning over them quickly before flipping to the next page.
"How can you do that?" She froze, her fingers stopping on the middle of a page.
"Do what?" She asked in a low, monotone voice, not taking her eyes off the ground. He cleared his throat.
"Read so fast." She shrugged, looking down at the book.
"I just can, it's not hard." She started reading again and he moved slightly closer, glancing over at the books.
"Can I read one?" He asked, trying to sound gentle and nice. She hesitated before looking up at him for a split second.
"Promise not to ruin it?" He nodded with a smile.
"Promise." She nodded then, looking over the books and Uta before taking one out of the pile. It was a relatively short one, bound in blue leather with gold letters on the side.
"This one should be good for you." He nodded, taking the book from her hand. Their fingers brushed together and she pulled her hand away, placing it back on her lap. He frowned.
"I'm sorry." He said but she didn't move. He opened the book at the start, not looking at the name of it before starting to read.
"Why are you here?" His head snapped up for the second time in two hours. Kristin was looking up at him with wide, curious eyes. She looked down shyly at his shocked expression, playing with the hem of her dress.
"I mean, what's your peculiarity?" He looked down as well, examining the claw marks on the backs of his hands and the red stains on his fingertips.
"I have to eat humans to live." He said. His voice was shaking ever so slightly, but Kristin's senses seemed sharp enough to catch it.
"I kill people when I touch them with my hands." She mumbled back and the two fell into a silence once more. The air between them was less tense though. It was like sharing deadly peculiarities had made them bond.
*
It was around noon when the guests arrived. (Y/n), or Miss Harpy as she had ordered him to call her, had gathered everyone in the front yard, ordering them to stand in a neat line. She stood in front of them, her hands behind her back and her head held high. Uta tried to ask Mary who was coming, but she said she wasn't supposed to say. The others had similar replies, all saying it was a secret or a surprise. So he waited, not patiently at all, tapping his foot on the ground and biting his lip.
"Uta, be quiet!" Kristin hissed up at him, a glare on her face that made Uta stop tapping. They both faced forward again. They waited until the birds flew away and the branches of the trees in front of them moved away to reveal a large hooded figure dressed in all black. A large smile spread across Miss Harpy's face and she stepped forward, meeting the figure in the middle and engulfing it in a large, warm embrace. They pulled apart and (y/n) smiled warmly up at the figure who removed it's cloak. It was a woman, with black hair in an up do and dressed in all black. She had sharp features but wore a kind smile.
"It's nice to see you again as well (y/n)." The woman said, stroking (y/n)'s cheek gently. (Y/n) took her cloak and gestured to the group of children.
"You've met my wards." She said.
"Children, this is Miss Peregrine." The children smiled and waved, saying their hello's all at once. Uta waved as well, despite not knowing who Miss Peregrine was. Four figures appeared behind Miss Peregrine, all dressed in black cloaks with the hoods up. They stepped forward until they stood next to Miss Peregrine and removed their cloaks. One was a girl, around Uta's age, maybe younger, with wavy blonde hair and a hard look on her face, wearing a powder blue dress that reached down to her ankles. Next was a mannish-looking girl with bare feet who stood strong and proud, but was smiling at the children with warm eyes. A boy stood next to her wearing a white shirt and suspenders, his black hair slicked back under his beekeeper's hat. The last was probably the strangest, though none of them seemed particularly normal. Uta guessed it was a boy, but he couldn't really be sure as he was completely invisible. If it weren't for his clothes Uta wouldn't have been able to see him.
"I see you have a newcomer Miss Harpy." Said the blonde haired girl, eyeing Uta weirdly. Miss Peregrine looked at him as well, noticing the weird colour of his eyes and the black of his nails.
"Yes, this is Uta. He arrived yesterday." (Y/n) explained, smiling reassuringly at Uta before looking back to Miss Peregrine and the kids.
"I see. Well, it's nice to meet you, Uta."
*
It wasn't right. Nothing about it was right. It was too bright, too happy. The sounds around him were all wrong. The laughter of children and cheerful chatter of people didn't match the sight in front of him. It didn't match the feel of warm blood on his hands. He could hear voices, some telling him to run away, others telling him to hide the body somewhere, but most told him to keep eating.
*
He sat on the roof, his head in his hands and his eyes closed. The scene flashed through his mind, the day he first killed someone on repeat in his head. Miss Peregrine and Miss Harpy had disappeared into Miss Harpy's office after they had all had their afternoon tea. The children all seemed to know each other, so when they got deep enough into their conversation he had managed to slip away, and now he was hiding. It all seemed so weird to him still. Everything seemed so surreal. He looked down at his hands, his arms covered by the shirt sleeves. What was under them was evidence of all the horrible things he had done. Scars in the form of scratches and bites from when his victims, his food, had tried to escape, had tried to fight.
"Hey, whatcha doing up here?" He turned to see Miss Harpy standing on the edge of the roof, a soft smile on her face. She had changed into shorts and a button up that was way to big on her, making her look her age a lot more than all the fancy victorian dresses. Her hair had been let down and flowed over her shoulders and her usually fancy shoes had been replaced with leather boots that went up to her knees and were tied with black laces.
"Hiding, I guess." He mumbled in response, looking back out at the darkening sky. Miss Harpy sat down next to him, her feet swinging back and forth over the edge. It was silent for a while, the only sound the quiet chirping of birds in the distance.
"Do you want to leave?" Miss Harpy whispered. Uta looked up, but she didn't take her eyes off the sky. Her expression was stoic, unreadable, which he knew wasn't like her, despite barely knowing her. He didn't answer right away, because he honestly didn't know. There was a lot about this place he didn't understand, and he did really feel at home there, but he doubted it would be any different anywhere else.
"I don't know." He finally answered, and the slight waver in her expression told him that wasn't what she wanted to hear.
"You can leave whenever you want, and there's nothing I can do to stop you. But it won't be any better out there, constantly surrounded by people you want to kill. I can provide you with food, the kind of food that actually makes you full. But only if you stay." Uta chuckled, looking back at the sky.
"One week." He mumbled, and finally she looked at him.
"I'll give it one week. If I don't 100% want to stay after one week, I want to travel the world. I have a bit of money and despite everything I still want to see the world." Miss Harpy smiled and nodded.
"One week it is." The returned to the lounge shortly after where the group of children were sat in front of Miss Peregrine as she read them a story. She looked up and smiled warmly at the two as they entered, gesturing for them to sit down and listen. The story seemed interesting enough, but Uta wasn't paying much attention to it as Miss Harpy's hand was in his, their fingers intertwined. It made his heart beat faster and a blush rise to his pale cheeks. They listened to the story in silence for what seemed like hours, the younger children wide eyed and curious while the older ones were just enjoying the story and the company. Dinner wasn't exactly fun though, as Uta was absolutely starving, but even the thought of eating any of the foot on the table disgusted him. Lawrence wolfed down his first plate before putting more food on it, wolfing that down just as quickly with a disapproving glare from Kristin. Luca and Alexander kept kicking each other under the table, Alexandria kicking them both in the shin each time to make them stop. Arnar and Mary sat together as usual, holding hands under the table as they ate. Then there were the guests. Miss Peregrine sat on one end of the long table across from Miss Harpy, her 'wards', as she called them, split up so that two were on either side of her. By listening and observing he had been able to learn their names and abilities, which were all quite impressive. The invisible boy, Millard, who was in fact a boy, obviously had the power of invisibility, but couldn't turn it off. The manly girl, Bronwyn, had inhuman strength, which Uta thought matched her appearance quite well, but not so much her personality as she was probably the sweetest person he had ever met when she said hello to him. The boy with the beekeeper's hat was named Hugh, and could control bees, which Uta didn't find very impressive until the bees had started to swarm him. They didn't seen quite so useless when he had to scream at Hugh to stop. And then there was Emma, the blonde girl who didn't seem to like him very much, but Bronwyn had told him she didn't particularly like anyone. She could create fire in her hands. He had made a mental note not to piss her off. They all ate peacefully, making small talk between bites. Uta sipped his coffee quietly, nodding along to conversation without really knowing what was going on. That is, until he was caught.
"Uta?" He was snapped back to reality by Miss Harpy saying his name, her brows raised and a smirk on her lips.
"What?" He said, putting his coffee cup down and leaning forward. Miss Harpy chuckled, gesturing toward Miss Peregrine.
"Alma was just asking you a question." Her voice was sweet and Miss Peregrine smiled.
"I was asking how you were liking it here, with people like you around you." He thought for a bit, honestly not sure himself how he was liking it. He had enjoyed the last day, sure. But he didn't know if he would be staying or not. So he answered in the most neutral way he could think of.
"It's strange." He stated simply, making everyone at the table laugh.
"Well, you're not wrong." Miss Peregrine chuckled. He managed to avoid further questions the rest of the dinner, though he participated in the conversation a lot more.
*
"Hello." He looked up at the sudden breach of silence. Emma was standing behind the bench, her hands behind her back and the same stern look on her face.
"May I sit?" She asked, looking down at Uta and raising a brow. He nodded hesitantly, looking back out into the woods when she had sat down.
"You fancy her, don't you?" He chocked on his own spit, coughing and wheezing until he could finally muster a chocked.
"What?!" She snickered, leaning back and crossing her leg over the other.
"Miss Harpy. I saw the way you looked at her, with those eyes." He raised a brow, sitting back up fully.
"What eyes?" She smirked.
"The lover eyes, heart eyes, love eyes, whatever you want to call them." She answered, pointing at Uta's eyes. He shook his head, looking out into the woods.
"I don't fancy her, I like her as a friend." He stated and Emma patted his shoulder, rolling her eyes.
"Sure, whatever you say."
*
"You wanna go outside?" She asked again, her voice slightly hesitant. He nodded once again.
"Not necessarily out of the loop though. Maybe just into town or something." She hummed, looking out the window for a bit.
"Okay." She stated simply. Uta's eyes widened.
"Are you serious?" She nodded.
"But you're not going alone. Kristin and Lawrence need to go to town anyways to get new books and Miss Peregrine's wards have never been there before, so you can go with them. Inside the loop."
"Okay." He nodded eagerly and was already out the door before (y/n) could add anything. But then there was a problem. He stood in front of his closet, staring into it at all the different clothes from different time periods and he had no idea what year it was.
"Need help?" Bronwyn was stood at the door, a soft smile on her lips. He sighed and nodded.
"I have no idea what time period this is." She nodded and stepped inside, examining the clothes carefully before handing him a white button up and brown slacks.
"Wear this and you don't have to worry about time periods. It's good in any one of them." He nodded and thanked her before she left him to get dressed. The small group was waiting for him when he arrived outside. Kristin was at the edge of the group, looking down and not talking at all. Lawrence stood with her though, his mop of hair all messy and in his face and his hand on Kristin's shoulder.
"Ready to go?" Lawrence asked the group with a grin and they all nodded before they started walking in the opposite direction of the mountain.
*
It wasn't a large town, with only a few shops, one church, one library and one inn. The residents of the town all seemed pretty bland, most wearing farming clothes and dirty dresses, their hair messy and their faces dirty.
"This isn't exactly the most rich place, is it?" Uta whispered to Kristin who shook her head silently. They walked slowly, allowing Uta and Miss Peregrine's wards to take in the scenery and look into every window they past. Emma and Millard left them in the middle of the town, saying they wanted to look around for a bit and would see them at the same spot in about one hour. Bronwyn and Hugh stayed with the group as the went to the library, but Bronwyn disappeared into the fairytale section and Hugh went straight to the nature section as soon as they stepped inside. Uta and Lawrence trailed behind Kristin as she walked around, picking up random books and handing them to either of the boys. When she was finally finished they both had huge stacks of books in their arms and Kristin was holding two herself, since both piles had gotten too big. The librarian gave them a very suspicious look when they handed her all the books, eyeing them all before marking the books down for Kristin's name. Kristin mumbled a 'let's go' before she started walking again, the boys trailing behind her yet again, calling for Hugh and Bronwyn before they left them behind. They sat on a bench in the middle of town as they waited for the other two, Kristin already deep into a new book, Lawrence sitting next to her. Uta sighed, throwing his head back and combing a hand through his messy hair.
"You have beautiful eyes." He looked down at Bronwyn when she said that, raising a brow at her statement.
"What?" She chuckled.
"Your eyes, they're beautiful. Such a unique colour." He huffed, rolling his eyes.
"They're black and red, not exactly the most beautiful colours." He mumbled back. Bronwyn shook her head and looked away, a small smile still present on her lips.
*
It was dark. So dark. He couldn't see a source of light anywhere. There were bodies though. He couldn't see them but he could smell them. The sweet scent of blood and meat. It made his stomach growl despite being full. He was sitting down on the floor, his head in his hands and blood covering him from head to toe. He killed them. He killed his family.
*
"I'm going for a walk, I'll be right back." Uta mumbled before walking away from the group. Kristin watched as he walked away, worry etched into her usually stoic face. He walked away quickly, his head down and his hands by his sides. He could feel his stomach growling and his brain going fuzzy, overcome with hunger. He hadn't eaten in way too long, not since (y/n) found him. He hurried into the first alley he could find, raking his fingers through his hair violently. It was starting to hurt, the constant growling of his stomach and the urge to rip someone's head off almost too strong to handle.
"Sir, are you alright?" He heard a voice at the end of the alley. A man stood there, middle aged with grey strands in his brown hair. He looked to be homeless, his clothes ripped and filthy and his beard unruly. But under the stink of not having taken a bath for months, there was the sweet smell of blood that made Uta's mouth water. He pushed off the wall and rushed over to the man, mumbling an apology before ripping his jugular out with his teeth. It was all a black haze after that. He didn't even know what he was doing. All he could feel was the warmth of the dead body underneath him and the taste of blood. He could feel his stomach filling up, but he didn't stop. Not until an ear splitting scream sounded from behind him before a gun went off. He expected to feel pain, but he didn't. He turned slowly, his eyes widening when he saw the guy he had seen with (y/n) earlier that week holding a hand out to him with a large grin.
"You done?" He asked in a high pitched voice, the grin never leaving his lips. Uta nodded slowly, standing up hesitantly and staring down at the man.
"We should go before anyone sees us near the body." The man mumbled as he glanced behind Uta at the body ripped to pieces.
"Just keep your head down, okay? And don't say anything." The man whispered and Uta nodded before following him to the end of the alley.
"Put this on." The man mumbled, throwing a black cloak at Uta. He put it on over his shoulders and pulled the hood up, making sure it covered every inch of him. They left the alley and walked down the street to where the children were all sitting, Emma and Millard having joined them.
"Let's go." Uta whispered to Lawrence when he was close enough. Lawrence glanced up at the two of them before nodding, poking Kristin's shoulder gently and telling her they were leaving. She nodded and closed her book, placing it on the stack next to Lawrence who picked it up. The group walked quickly, the children walking faster when they caught a glimpse of Uta's bloody clothes.
"Did you kill someone?" Kristin whispered. Uta nodded quickly, looking away from her.
*
(Y/n) was waiting for them when they came back. She was stood on the porch with a smile on her lips that disappeared as soon as they came into clear view. She rushed over to meet them, looking at the man with furrowed brows before rushing over to Uta, examining every inch of him. She didn't say anything before she pulled Uta into the house by the arm, the man following close behind them. (Y/n) slammed her hand against the desk, turning around and pushing the man up against the wall, her hand holding the collar of his shirt.
"What the hell were you thinking?!" She roared, her eyes full of anger. He glared down at her.
"I kept him from being killed! What did you want me to do, watch him get shot?!" He yelled back and she backed off, letting him go. Uta stood there, frozen, looking down at his bloody hands and clothes.
"Are you okay?" Uta looked up at (y/n) who now stood in front of him, her hands clasping his gently. He nodded, his eyes glued on her's.
"Juuzou, can you get a towel and some water?" The man nodded and left the room, closing the door behind him.
"Is he your boyfriend?" Uta asked as soon as the man had left. (Y/n) looked up at him with wide eyes before bursting into a fit of laughter. She laughed for a while, doubling over and clutching her stomach. When she had finally calmed down she sat on the window sill, shaking her head with a smile on her face.
"No, not at all, and that is probably the most gross thing I've ever heard." She answered, managing to confuse Uta even more.
"He's my older brother." She answered when she saw his look of confusion. He nodded, relief filling him.
"That's good." He breathed, closing his eyes and leaning his head against the wall.
"And why's that?" She asked, leaning forward with a cocky grin. He froze, holding his breath, his head going a mile a minute.
"No reason." He mumbled finally right before the door opened and Juuzou entered the room. Uta took the towel from him with a mumbled thanks before returning to his spot at the wall.
"So, you're siblings." He mumbled to break the thick silence. (Y/n) nodded, looking up at Juuzou.
"Adopted siblings, though. I can't shape-shift into a harpy." Juuzou explained.
"So what can you do?" Uta asked, glancing up at Juuzou before continuing to clean his hands.
"It's a secret unfortunately." Juuzou answered, leaning against the window next to (y/n). They didn't talk much after that, just some small talk before Juuzou left. (Y/n) had explained that she didn't want the children to know about her brother, though she didn't tell him why, but he didn't mind. The rest of the day went by smoothly. The children asked about Juuzou, of course, but (y/n) managed to brush it off as a fellow peculiar leap-frogging who helped Uta out. He chatted with Kristin after lunch, talking to her about all kinds of things. And then their guests left after a tearful goodbye between Miss Peregrine and Miss Harpy. And then it was bedtime, and Uta slept like a rock.
*
"Do you have to?" Kristin mumbled, looking up at a puffy white cloud that floated over the forest. Uta nodded, brushing his hair back from his eyes and smiling at Kristin.
"Yeah, it's for the best." He answered, looking down at the green grass. There was a long silence, with nothing but the slight breeze breaking it.
"I want to come with you." She said determinedly, looking at him with a small smile. He shook his head.
"You can't. You'll age forward, and I know you don't want to leave Lawrence. I'll be fine on my own." She frowned.
"But I don't want you to leave. You're the only one here who understands." Her voice was sad and her shoulders were slumped.
"I'm sorry kid, but this is something I have to do." He stood up, about to walk away when he remembered.
"I got you something." He said, reaching into his coat and bringing out the small book.
"I thought you might like it." He handed her the book, careful not to touch her. She took it just as carefully, examining it before grinning widely, something he had never seen before.
"I love it, thank you." He smiled back before turning and leaving. Miss Harpy was waiting at the entrance to the forest, leaning against a tree with her eyes closed. He had never gotten over it, how beautiful she was, and he didn't think he ever would. She smiled up at him when he approached, but it was a lot sadder than her usual grins of joy.
"You ready?" She asked, pushing off the tree. He nodded, and they started walking. He had said he could go by himself, but she had insisted on accompanying him. They didn't really talk, just walked and made the occasional comment about something they saw. And then all of a sudden they were at the loop entrance, and (y/n) was looking five times sadder than before.
"I guess this is it then." She said awkwardly, looking down at the ground.
"Yeah, it is." He replied, staring down as well so he didn't have to look into those eyes.
"Where will you go?" She asked, looking up at him.
"I'm not sure, out of the country, probably. Maybe France. Or Norway. It all sounds so interesting, I'll never be able to decide." She nodded and smiled.
"You can always come back, if you want to." He nodded then and smiled at her, ruffling her hair playfully.
"Goodbye (y/n)." She grinned up at him, her eyes shining.
"Goodbye Uta."
*
//ten years later//

"Miss Harpy!" Luca screamed as he entered the clearing, panting and sweating.
"What, what is it?" (Y/n) called, running towards him.
"I went to the beach, to check for Hollows, and I found something." He didn't need to say anything else before (y/n) was off, walking through the woods and the loop entrance with the children right behind her. When they finally arrived, Kristin ran immediately. It was the first time she had hugged someone since her peculiarity surfaced. Everybody else cheered and howled, and even though he constantly denies it, Arnar cried. Why did everyone react like that, you may ask. Because after so long, he was there, standing on the same rock he had sat on all those years ago, with a huge grin on his lips. He missed his Harpy too much. Then there was a kiss, and everything was good again.