« part eight • memories »

"It was just seeing her, like that, it made me think of what it was like."

The car ride to Med was quick and quiet, neither Amy or Antonio spoke to each other each too busy thinking about the case.

Once they reached the hospital Antonio asked Maggie who was treating Megan.  Apparently it was Dr Rhodes. Amy cringed, of all times she'd have loved her brother to be here.

After waiting only a few minutes Rhodes came to take the two detectives to see Megan. Amy stopped at he door assuming Antonio would do the talking seen as he's been doing this longer.

"I think a woman's touch might be better." Antonio whispered to her nudging her gently inside.

"Hi, I'm Amy." She said warmly standing beside her bed,"I'm from the police department."

"Have you got him?" Megan asked hope shining in her eyes.

Amy's heart broke for the girl as she shook her head,"No but that's why I'm here. I need your help."

"I can't remember anything." Megan shook her head,"Anything useful."

Gently holding the girls hand Amy decided to try something,"Can you close your eyes?"

Megan closed her eyes and tightened the grip on Amy's hand listening to her voice as she told her to think back to that night.

"I'd been out with my friends. I wasn't drunk though. I remember walking past a bus stop." She said,"It was dark. I could smell takeout."

"That's good," Amy assured her,"Did he say anything to you?"

"He was stood at the bus stop. He asked me when the next bus was. I had to move closer to read the table." Megan's nails were digging into Amy's hand as she carried on,"Someone grabbed me from behind. He covered my mouth."

Megan was close to tears now so Amy told her to open her eyes,"You did really well."

"It's my fault." She stuttered,"I was out late."

Amy shook her head,"This isn't your fault. I know what it's like to feel this way but you shouldn't. You did nothing wrong."

"How would you know?" Megan frowned taking her hand out of Amy's to wipe her eyes.

Amy's chest suddenly felt too tight and the room felt far too hot as whispered,"I just know."

Standing up wearily Amy told Megan they'd come see her again and let her know if they found anything. On her way out Antonio placed a hand on her arm.

"Hey you okay?" He asked,"You did really good."

Amy forced a smile as she quickly headed to the toilets excusing her self from her partner. Once inside she locked herself inside a stall and threw up into the toilet. She'd thought seen as so many years had passed since she experienced one of the worst nights of her life in college that she could talk about it, but obviously not.

As she left the stall she realised she wasn't alone in the toilets as the familiar face of Will's crush stood at the sink washing her hands.

"Hey Amy right?" Nat smiled pretending not to have heard her throwing up.

Amy nodded plastering a smile across her face as she washed her hands, drying them quickly on her pants,"Yeah, nice to see you again."

"I take it you're here for Megan?" Nat asked earning a nod from Amy,"It's awful."

Amy nodded suddenly feeling sick again and excused herself from the conversation saying Antonio would be looking for her. In her hurry to leave she walked straight into Rhodes.

"Hey you okay?" He asked looking at the pale detective.

Amy nodded,"Yeah fine."

"Hey I was wondering if you wanted to get a drink tonight at Molly's?" Connor suggested putting a patient file on the side.

Wanting a quick escape from the atmosphere Amy nodded before heading off to find Antonio. She slid into the passenger seat of the car and let out a sigh.

"You did good." Antonio told her starting the engine not looking at her.

He moved his glance over to the brunette and noticed her pale face and sweaty palms,"Hey you okay?"

Biting her lip Amy nodded forcing a small smile,"Fine, lets get back to 21."

Once back at the district Jay noticed the change in his sisters behaviour as soon as she walked up the stairs. He wanted to ask her if she was okay but knew she'd only shut him down in front of the others, so when he saw her leave to go to the locker rooms he followed her down.

Amy collapsed onto the bench and put her head in her hands letting out the tears that had been in her eyes since she left Megan's hospital room.

Jay saw his sister and sat beside her on the bench putting his arm around her,"It's okay."

"I'm here." He soothed as she lent into him,"You're okay."

After a few minutes Amy pulled away from her brother wiping her eyes,"Sorry."

Jay shook his head,"You don't need to apologise. I shouldn't have let you go."

Amy shrugged,"I can't not talk about it."

"It was just seeing her like that, it made me think of what it was like," she told him,"How she blamed herself."

"And I bet you told her not to." Jay smiled at his sister,"You know what happened wasn't your fault. Just like what happened to Megan wasn't her fault."

Amy smiled at her brother,"Thank you Jay."