Being Anna Marie Part 36

The blinding light receded the moment that my feet touched pavement. My body materialized as if someone had parted nature's curtain to allow me entrance. The sound of heels clicking against concrete rang out around me as the breeze attempted to dry the trickles of sadness that still clung to my features. Behind me the sun melted into the horizon, dissolving into the cracks of earth as if a metaphor for my descent into darkness. Hazel lenses shifted toward the glass of a deserted shop as I paused to gaze at the image of a girl I no longer recognized.

My fingers rose to caress a stray curl wondering if witnessing so much death had put such overwhelming sadness within my eyes. I pondered if fear of what pursued me had placed the tinge of darkness around my lashes. Had taking lives captured the innocence I used to convey? Gone was the naivety I once held as I begged my mother to join Andrea inside death's carriage. My fingers trailed past my hazel gaze now tinged forever with that cruel scarlet tint while noticing that panic no longer dominated their appearance. Vanished was that terrified youth I used to be as I ran from shadows intent on feasting on flesh. My hands stroked the fullness of my lips feeling them tighten at the sudden resentment that seemed to consume me. My palms fell uselessly to my sides knowing that as my past fear lessened it had devoured that sense of overwhelming confusion that had once plagued my mentality. From the moment this world was opened up to me everything that I had held dear had exploded into nothingness.

My chin trembled as I watched my composure crumple as visions of what brought me to this moment assailed my mind. I thought of everything I had lost just so the powers beyond me could force me into this realm of impossibility. Andrea's smiling face appeared along the glass only to transform into the sight of her weeping in the center of complete devastation.

Men should not have the power to steal purity...

I envisioned my sister joking in the car with my father just as the vehicle was violently jolted before it began to spin uncontrollably.

No one should be able to order chaos...

Then, there... just beyond my shoulder I saw my sister's image appear behind me. She smiled her slow smirk, her blonde hair flowing in the wind, her form still clothed in her short mini and tee. Andrea's hand rose to sweep back her tresses causing her butterfly ring to glitter in the dying sun. Colorless liquid blinded my view as my hand rose to tenderly touch the cold glass. The butterfly ring sparkled upon my finger as the image dissolved within the wind. My eyes dropped taking tears along with it.

The dead should not have the ability to return only to heart wrenchingly depart once again. The blameless should not be the definition of fragility so easily vanquished from existence.

My irises ascended to clash with my reflection once again.

No, this cruel new world now released to my comprehension should not be real, and yet its presence in my life could not be denied. My family had been snatched from my reach. Death had used me like a deadly pawn intent on slaughtering all who came near me while darkness's touch seemed to taint the most honorable of souls. Evil's caress continued to corrupt my way of thinking, and even now mere footsteps from my damned future I could sense its call. I could sense its desire to claim me. It was a temptation I knew I would be forced to endure until my dying day. Call it a birthright, a burdensome legacy of great power gifted upon my fragile shoulders... but in this moment it felt more similar to a curse.

Taking a deep breath I waved a hand before my features allowing a tiny spike of power to wipe my face clean; to conceal such debilitating sadness. Stiffening my spine I obliterated even the smallest morsel of fear lingering within me before I left my former self behind. Turning away from the glass I continued my determined stride toward Rick's office building. I continued onward deserting the person I used to be.