Being Anna Marie part 4

(I’m going to dedicate this chapter to HeyItsEmmy who not only fanned me but also left the most amazing message. I wish you nothing but the best with your own writing and later when you upload a story get back to me and I will totally check it out lol Enjoy…)

The steady beeping noise was persistent if not annoying as it infiltrated the silence, my mind lethargic and yet able to recognize its sound as the monitoring of my heart. I couldn’t find the strength to open my eyes and every breath was a battle I feared would soon be lost to me.

“I don’t think she’s getting any better,” I heard a woman’s voice whisper.

“Well, what do you expect? People don’t live through an attack like that. She’s just lost too much blood,” another answered her.

“Do you think she’ll make it through the night? Have we contacted the parents?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t look likely. If this wasn’t Mayor Steven’s daughter I think the hospital would have quit a long time ago.”

I am not his child I raged silently, my body still too drained to move my lips, something for which felt like such a complex notation that once felt so simple.

I heard a sharp intake of breath, “So then you mean this is her? That girl we saw on the news? The one who tried to-.”

“Yes! What gave you the hint Lena, the police officer guarding the door, or the blood soaked Cloverdale labeled clothes we removed from her body?” the other voice said disdain evident in his tone.

“Why would someone with money like that send their daughter to Cloverdale? That place is as shabby as you can get, and with the money Mayor Stevens makes-.”

“Hello get a fucking clue! This girl is obviously the throw away child! Everyone in the medical profession and even some out of it knows Cloverdale is a shitty place. It’s a place to house those you want under lock and key and quickly forgotten about. When the judge didn’t send this girl to jail Cloverdale was the closest thing to shoving her into a dark soulless hole, never to be seen or heard from again.”

“But he seems so nice and sweet on screen. He wouldn’t do that to his own daughter, would he?” she questioned, their foot steps moving towards the door. “Besides I thought she was ordered to Greenwich.”

“She was but apparently she was causing too much of a scene, and you know how politicians like to sweep disruptions under the rug. And it is election year. I heard he wants to eventually go for the senate, and I don’t know if you realized it but with all the cameras outside this building her family is no where to be seen.”

“No, they wouldn’t leave that girl to die alone?”

He laughed humorlessly, “Can you really blame them? Looking at her she appears as innocent and sweet as my own daughter, but let’s not forget the reason she was sent to Cloverdale in the first place, Lena. And after what they said she did to her six year old sister she can rot in hell for all I care.”

I heard the door close just as the sounds dissolved, my mind slowly retreating back from consciousness, too saddened and weak to remain. No one sat beside my hospital bed, no one cared enough to cry or push me to get well. They were all waiting for me to die, and as I slowly felt myself withdraw back into the darkness that enclosed my mind I felt a tear escape, for at that moment if it was possible I would have gladly given them what they wanted.

I could feel the light breeze drift along my skin, its caress nothing more than a gentle stroke, the sun eagerly replicating the winds actions as my eyes pierced open to take in nothing but the beautiful cloudless blue sky. I gasped, my body rising tentatively from where I lie while my fingers quickly inspected my once battered body for the bruises that seemed to vanish as quickly as the wind that had awoken me. Gone were the many cuts that lined my skin like a road map leading me to my entrapped hell. Gone were the burns, the contusions, the bandages that had covered every inch of my marred skin. I was still clothed in my hospital gown and yet I felt no pain from cracked ribs, no broken bones, no fractures of any kind, and as I lifted my gaze from my newly healed body I quickly realized also gone was my pathetic hospital room.