Being Anna Marie part 5

(I am dedicating this chapter to Kirbyx, my unofficial editor lol. She left me the most incredible comment which I found to be informative, and extremely helpful. I wish to only live up to her expectations lol and of course all of yours… Thanks, and Enjoy...)

The door was soundless as it glided back allowing me my first view of my new doctor, my supposed healer of inner demons, my restorer of mental health.

“Welcome Miss Cortez,” she greeted kindly, her chocolate colored gaze quickly sweeping over my stilled form in the entryway before she moved with a grace I envied, closer towards me. Her arm extended towards the room, her many bracelets seeming to jingle against each other from the sudden movement, “Please come in. May I call you Anna?”

I obeyed her command with circumspection filling my heart, caution heeding my spirit, and weariness slowing the very movement of the soles of my feet. Her black hair was severely pulled back from her face into a small bun, her brown skin free of makeup, and yet clear of any blemish that I could observe. I appraised her slender form clothed in a rather simple black dress, pearls aligning her elegant neck as she quickly sat at her mahogany desk, gesturing for me to sit on the brown couch to her left. Around her the walls were lined with endless rows of medical books, framed awards cluttering up any free space, while massive windows sat directly behind her, seemingly commandeering any dark corners that would ever dare to reside here.

I felt a diminutive sense of safety at seeing this.

Nevertheless still I found myself perching on the couch’s edge delicately, my eyes never leaving Dr. Whitley’s form, for it was not her features that captivated my attention nor any words she had spoken, and yet I failed to remove my gaze from her. For there lining the very border of her image lied an aurora of yellow, something up until this moment I had never seen before.

What did it mean?

“Did you hear me? Are you too unwell to have a session today?” she asked, her brow furrowed at my continued silence.

“Calling me Anna is fine,” I whispered.

“Great, I am Dr. Whitley,” she paused to look over a file clearly belonging to me before glancing back up, “which I’m sure you are already aware of. You have had quite the chaotic start here at Clover Dale.”

I glanced down at the writhing hands in my lap, not really wanting to think of all that had happened since I had arrived. I squeezed my eyes shut trying to block out the sudden flashes of scarlet; blood trickling into the very edges of the floor boards, the dark shadow’s that snaked around curtains; that lingered in corners, and the pain I had unwittingly caused that seemed to seep, forever entrenched into these very walls. The very essence of this place appeared unable to cleanse itself of the evil that had erupted within its gates, an evil Maria claimed I held inside. An evil I seemed to inadvertently bring here.

Guilt lined my gaze as I looked back up into Dr. Whitley’s face and still I remained silent, too overcome to voice the culpability that I felt lied at my feet.

“Let’s forget about the present, shall we? Anna I want you to think back. Think back to the first memory you can recall.”

My eyes trailed towards the window, the feeling of a sudden weight on my shoulders I quickly ignored, my vision rapidly leaving the barred in glass …

“I saw you looking at Gabe again Marie,” Andrea teased, her long blonde hair that I envied was swept up into a messy ponytail, her cheeks chubby with youth, her blue eyes alit with amusement, and the pink tank of her pajamas rose as she moved to tickle me on my bed that we were currently sharing. “He’s two years older than you. I mean even I have a better chance of hooking up with him because trust me there is no ten year old boy alive who is checking out a eight year old.”