Being Anna Marie Part 7

The sound of his breathing was the only sense of normalcy he possessed in his darkened tomb, its labored noise felt oddly comforting and yet the tears that clouded his gaze, tumbling over his lids to creep down his trembling cheeks were not. His limbs felt cramped, stiffened from his continued position lying against the icy, numb inducing cold metal. The steel’s frozen touch seemed to reach beyond mere skin, sinking into the very center of his soul slowly extracting every memory only to callously replay them before his eyes as if to mock the very idea of his entrapment, as if to scoff at his small glimpses of happiness while telling him he would never have the freedom to experience these moments again. Terror lined his emerald green depths as they glanced helplessly around this metal vault while inwardly knowing he would see nothing. Desperate fingers lined with his own blood rose to stroke along the steel walls searching in vain for some small, minuscule flaw in its design. Just one tiny crack that would somehow allow him a chance at escape.

No one knew of his plans or the failure that became of them. They knew nothing of where he now remained, and screaming was pointless he had found as he reached a bruised hand to his burning throat knowing his voice had all but vanished in his quest to yell for help. And the part that saddened him most was that deep inside in the depths of his frightened soul he knew that rescue was inconceivable, and truly everything that had happened tonight; his gaps in memory, the fear he saw residing behind the anger in Anna’s eyes was his own fault.

This was karma lashing out, his own revenge enacted, back-lashing against him. Whatever small idiotic sense of pleasure he had found in placing Anna behind these walls had long vanished, and finally the realization of how truly sadistic his plan had been donned on him. How cruel was he to place a mentally deranged girl who freely admitted to being terrified of the dark encased in this prison, trapped onto a slab?

“I’m so sorry Anna,” he whispered into the silence, the mere words burning from his throat.

He heard a noise in the darkness, its sound instantly freezing his movements listening to the tiny creak against tile. Mick lay anxiously waiting, deliriously hoping against all odds that someone was coming and that this was not a case of illusions replacing reality, for he had been here for several bleak hours and the idea of being entrapped forever was something he knew his mind could not accede to.

“Is someone there?”

What sounded like nails against tile scrapped along its surface, its sound drawing nearer, closer to where his static form lay. He longed avidly to yell out his position, to be free from this cage, but something was warning him to stop, some small miniature voice inside his head heeding for him to remain silent. For some unknown reason fear was seeping into his heart, his tears flowing that much more copiously. The sound ceased as if it had paused directly in front the cold chamber he lied in, his eyes frantically searching the darkness for reason, trying to understand how this person could know exactly where to find him when so many empty freezers resided around his. He stopped all movement even the breathing he once found so comforting, straining his ears for a noise, a small sound telling him who ever it was had left.

The sound of a nail puncturing the very steel that lied above his head was deafening as it slowly shredded the opening with the ease of a knife cutting into butter. The opening Mick had spent hours ineffectually pounding against, had wasted an obscene amount of futile moments watching blood pour from his cuts as he pummeled its resilient exterior in vain, for all that had resulted in his efforts were bruised fingers and a small dent along its surface. He cowered away from the very thing he had so tirelessly fantasized about, watching as steel continued to rip apart until finally the door of the cold chamber fell. His widened eyes combed the darkness searching frantically for his savior, or his attacker because still he remained unsure as to what would happen next, and yet all he found that lied before him was nothing.