Chapter 10

Drea went to school the next day feeling sore. Her legs were having trouble holding her up and her arms felt limp from the sword fighting. Her body creaked in protest as she walked to school with Jackie. She couldn’t let Jackie know anything was wrong though, otherwise a whole new field of questions would come up. She’d barely lied her way out of hurting her wrist.

Jackie didn’t seem to notice anything amiss though, thankfully. When they were almost at the school, Drea noticed another presence entering her mind. It felt familiar. She tried to push it out, but it didn’t feel like a Lori. Andrea! It yelled in protest to her efforts. 

Danny? She hadn’t expected him to enter her mind.

Who else would it be?

Enough with the sarcasm, what do you think you’re doing invading my personal thoughts?

He hesitated. I apologize. We usually communicate like this in Koracan. I forgot you’re unused to it.

Drea was almost expecting some kind of excuse, but instead he’d apologized. One thing about Koracan citizens: they were much kinder than those citizens on earth.

It’s fine, she thought. What do you need?

You seemed distressed.

Now it was her turn to hesitate. She hadn’t expected concern. Yeah… I’m fine, just sore.

You do a very good job at hiding your pain, but don’t make it so other people can’t help you.

I know Danny. She paused. We’re at the school. I’ll catch you later.

Drea felt his goodbye as he drew back. It seemed they could just send feelings to each other too. You learn something new every day, she thought to herself.  

“Ok?” said Jackie.

“What?” asked Drea. She must’ve blanked out of whatever Jackie was saying.

“I’ll see you later, ok?” Jackie seemed to be getting annoyed with Drea. She still was unconvinced of her lies.

“Yeah.” Drea forced a fake smile when she said it; she only wanted to make Jackie understand, but now wasn’t the right time to tell her.

Drea walked over to her side of the school. A lot of kids were standing around as usual. She went up to her first hour class to meet Karen. They talked for a little while. Karen looked as though she noticed something wrong with Drea, but didn’t say anything.  

Classes slipped by that day. There was nothing too interesting, but Drea had to make sure she stayed focus if she was to keep her grades up. In the middle of class, Drea felt a trace of dark energy just before someone entered her mind. This time she knew right away it was Danny. He sounded urgent. Andrea!

A Lori?

Yes. We have to go.  

Right.  

As they spoke, Drea noticed her necklace getting warmer again. It hadn’t gotten like that since Crystal and Drake were around. It seems she was right before: the necklace responded to the dark aura. It was as if it was connected to all this… No! she thought with panic to herself so Danny didn’t hear. This couldn’t be the artifact. Danny never mentioned anything about them getting warmer anyway.

She calmed herself and thought for a moment. Well how do you expect me to get out of here? I can’t just leave.

Danny hesitated. Make something up. I’ll meet you outside the school. He withdrew himself from her then, his impatience evident in his aura.