Chapter 44

Finally Alka appeared to be worried. He seemed to understand that if he didn’t kill her before the seal took effect, he’d be sealed for centuries to come.

Immediately Drea felt the seal begin to drain her energy. Her heart slowed as her body became weak and her mind became cloudy. It was getting difficult to think, but she knew she had to keep the seal going and she had to restrain Alka.

Are you quite sure about this Andrea? She heard Zen whisper wistfully.

Yes, she said slowly.

It has been an honor to serve you. I only wish it hadn’t been such a short time.

Drea had never felt such sadness from Zen, but she knew he understood. Like her, he had resigned himself to this decision from the very beginning, despite the difficulty of it. She would be remembered as a sacrifice, but it was her only hope left.

Thank you, she whispered, remembering all the times she’d said it to him, and all the other people she wished she could say it to one last time.

Zen? Are you ready to fight one last time?

Of course. He paused and said, You still have the bracelet your brother gave you?

Drea had completely forgotten she had it with her. She remembered Kevin telling her to be careful with using it, though now she had no other choice.

She placed her hand over the bracelet on her wrist. It dissolved into ashes and reformed into the little black box her brother had given her. It was shiny black like her armor, the power still pulsating inside.

Keep hold on it, said Zen. I’ll tell you when to open it.

Now Drea had to disable Alka with Zen’s help. She took a breath and built up the remaining energy in her body, stealing the strength from the last bits of her armor. They turned to dust around her feet, leaving her completely exposed.

She put her entire trust in Zen as Alka lunged at her, snarling like the rabid animal he was.

Just before he smashed into her, a figure of a flaming horse appeared in front of her and took his full weight. The world shook under her feet as the two giants clashed and Zen set Alka alight with flames. She heard the word, Now! screamed loudly in her mind.

Drea opened the box slowly as Zen kicked Alka in the ribs and he recoiled and stepped back. Zen whinnied and looked back at her just before he disappeared into her. The box glowed with a bright light, illuminating her, but the raw power had nowhere to go and she didn’t know how to control it.

Then she felt Zen take over. He took control of all the raw power and directed it into her hands. Her hands lit themselves on fire and slowly took the form of the deepest shadows in Hell. She suddenly knew what to do.

She threw her hands out and watched as the shadows extended from them in the shape of claws. They grabbed Alka and encased him, sending him flying back against the edge of the circle. The shadows detached from her hands and bound around him like ropes.  

The box had given her the strength to restrain Alka with the help of Zen, and now she just had to finish it.  

Drea reached down at her ankle and grabbed the dagger Danny had given her. She was now no better than a normal Kaienshi as her power to form weapons dissipated. She lunged at Alka and stabbed her knife deep into his chest. She had a quick flash of Danny, but pushed him out of her mind. She no longer had time to be sad.

Blood spurted from his chest, and he shook. The seal would close on them any second now. There was no way out.  Drea used all her remaining strength to keep the knife in his heart, making sure her didn’t break free of her shadows.