Chapter 37

Danny forced Drea to rest a few more days, despite her objections. She’d wanted to train, but apparently Wren wasn’t letting her escape either, so she remained put. There was nothing she could really do anyway; her body was still too tired to be in a real fight. She only hoped she’d heal in quickly so she could protect everyone.  

            Wren came to her room a few times to check on her and ask her about what happened, making her disclose everything. It caused a big uproar when everyone found out that eight Lori found a way to get through and no one even noticed. That meant that Kaienshi, namely Toni, Danny, Shena, and John, were positioned outside her room to keep her safe.

Drea hated the fact that they had to protect her, but she hated it more how all the Kaienshi were angrier at the fact that she was almost killed, rather than at the fact that Corey was killed. Her title overshadowed someone who should be getting much more recognition, and for the days when she was bedridden, that was all she could think about.

She wanted to do something to help, but she knew no one would let her risk it. Her life now belonged to everyone who had hopes for her. She had no control, but she would figure something out.

After a few more days of rest, Drea woke early in the morning. It was still dark out, but the moon was shining brightly. She got up and swung her legs out of the bed. She could feel Danny and Toni stationed outside her door, and could hear their soft whispers in the night. She changed her clothing to be in her uniform.

Drea looked out the window, taking in the beautiful night. It was a full moon. She sighed, wishing she could sit out there.  She gasped suddenly in surprise as her mind retreated into itself. She felt her body fall as she withdrew into her mind. She found herself standing in darkness, with no up, down, or anything. Something was wrong.

Korena’s figure stepped into view. She ran over to Drea looking panicked. “Andrea what happened?”

Drea narrowed her eyes. “What do you mean? Didn’t you call me here?”

She shook her head. Korena seemed off, but Drea just couldn’t place it. She knew that Korena would never be so panicked. The only time she remembered seeing her like this was when she’d lost control….

She understood, but she was too late. Suddenly a set of strong arms wrapped around her chest and neck. Korena smiled venomously as Drea looked up. It was Shawn who had restrained her. “What are you doing?” she spat as she struggled. His grip wouldn’t loosen. She tried to set herself alight, but Zen’s fire wouldn’t come.

“I’m sorry Andrea, but your time is up.” Shawn tightened his grip. “You’re ours.”

Drea felt an intense pain in the back of her head. She tried to suppress it, but couldn’t. It got stronger with each second until she recognized the minds of Korena and Shawn. They were taking control of her. She focused on her mind training in the attempt to keep them out, but they had many more years on her. She was no match against the both of them.

They took control of her within minutes. Last time when Korena had controlled her in her battle with Shena, she hadn’t allowed Drea to see, but this time she did. Her senses were still hers, but her body wasn’t.

Her hand extended in front of her without her consent. She knew what they were doing. It was the hand the portal mark had been seared into. She screamed out to Zen in her mind, but there was no response. She tried to scream in real life, but her mouth wouldn’t move and her vocal chords wouldn’t work. She couldn’t even contact Danny with the amount of control they had over her.

The power poured out of her hand, forming the shape of the portal in front of her. They have to notice, they have to notice! There was no way Toni and Danny couldn’t sense it.

They sensed it, but it didn’t matter. The moment Korena and Shawn took control of her, she was done for.

She looked Danny in the eyes when he stepped in. She couldn’t tell if he knew what was going on. All she knew was that he saw her escaping. She tried to make him understand with the look in her eyes before she walked into the portal and it disappeared.

                        *          *          *          *          *

Danny stood in the bedroom panting. Toni stood beside him. It took a minute for his eyes to adjust back to the darkness after the light from Drea’s portal.

“What just happened?” he heard Toni whisper.

He was almost too shocked to respond. “Did you see the look in her eyes?”

She hesitated then said, “Yeah.” Toni took a moment to regain her breath. “I don’t think she did that willingly.”

“Neither do I,” he responded, “but how will we convince the others of this? We were supposed to watch her.”

Toni was silent. “Either way, we failed, so it doesn’t matter what they think. We’re in a lot of trouble.”

Within minutes, Drea’s aura attracted the attention of John, Shena, and Wren. Danny and Toni hung their heads low as they took Wren’s harsh words. They couldn’t even look her in the eyes.

“How could you let her leave? And by herself!”

“She wasn’t doing it willingly,” Danny said slowly.

“And I’m supposed to believe that?” Wren was seething. “The one hope we had disappeared because the two of you weren’t paying close enough attention. The two of you are some of my best fighters and you need to act like it.”

Danny spoke slowly and quietly, “Do you really think she’d betray us? And we didn’t just let her go. Something strange happened.”

Wren sighed. “I don’t know anymore, but I need you guys to straighten out if we’re going to find her. You four, trace her aura and start looking. She’s our last hope and time is running out.”