Chapter 30

Drea woke up on a cold, hard floor. She groaned, feeling the throbbing in her head pulsate throughout her body. She got to her hands and knees and looked around. She was still in the Shrine, but now she was alone. Or at least she thought she was.

Korena and Shawn appeared on either side of her, staring down at her. They each got to their knees to look her in the eyes. “H-how long has it been?” Drea felt like she was getting weaker by the moment.

“Only a few hours since you entered,” said Shawn.

Drea knitted her eyebrows. A few hours? It hadn’t felt like it’d been that long. She swallowed, feeling the dryness of her tongue. It tasted metallic, like bile, but she didn’t remember throwing up.

“You now have the seal on your tongue,” Korena said quietly. She held up a shattered piece of mirror for Drea to see.

Drea stuck out her tongue and opened her mouth wide. She saw a black Japanese mark etched onto her tongue like a tattoo. It didn’t hurt, but it would raise questions if any of her family saw it. She put her tongue back in her mouth and stared up at Korena and Shawn.

They understood the burden she carried, for they also had the mark. Drea rose slowly to her feet, refusing their help. She stared around, feeling like she was still out of her body. She felt like she still wasn’t herself.

“You should be feeling like yourself again soon,” said Korena.

Drea nodded and smiled halfheartedly. “Now you need to go back through. Once your outside, your friends can help you.”

“Help me with what?”

“You’ll see,” said Shawn. “We’ll still be with you wherever you go-”

“-but come here if you want to see us. We won’t leave you alone,” said Korena.

Drea nodded and turned slowly towards the doors. Korena and Shawn extended their hands out, emitting their aura on either side of her. The doors creaked open slowly as Drea looked over to Korena, then Shawn. The two of them nodded as the light of the outside enveloped Drea. She walked towards it alone, ready to get back to her world.

                        *          *          *          *          *

            Danny stood outside, waiting for Drea. It had been a few hours now, so it was about noon. He hadn’t expected her to be in there that long, but whatever she was doing, it must’ve been important. It was obvious the others were getting restless.

            Shena kept pacing while John and Toni talked. Danny just watched them, thinking.

“Hey, you two, come over here!” yelled Toni. Shena and Danny looked at each other before they migrated over to where Toni and John sat.

“What is it?” asked Shena. She had to be the most annoyed.

“Well aren’t you testy,” Toni teased with her playful smile.

Shena rolled her eyes and refocused her attention back to Toni. “Well we were thinking we’d have a little talk with you Daniel,” said Toni.

“About what?” he replied nonchalantly.

“You and Andrea,” she raised her eyebrows as she said it.

Danny only rolled his eyes thinking, Not this again. They had questioned him before about her. It was getting a little old.  

“I’m not into her,” he said, trying to keep his tone even.

“Come on-” Toni was interrupted by the creaking of the old wooden doors opening. The four of them stood up and gathered around the entrance. They opened slower than Danny thought possible as the four of them stared into what still looked like darkness.

After a few minutes, the doors opened fully and Drea began to step out. She put her hand over her face to shade her eyes and squinted. Maybe it was just all darkness in there.

She stepped out and walked over to them, looking relieved to see the four of them still there. “Andrea, are you ok?” asked Danny. She wasn’t looking quite herself.

“Fine,” she said smiling, but Danny could tell she was faking. He wondered what she’d seen in there, but there was no way he’d ever be able to know.

“Well why don’t we go back for some training?” Shena said casually.  

“Sure…” said Drea just as her legs gave out and she fell forward. Danny caught her before she hit the ground and set her down on her back. He checked her vital signs and her heartbeat. She seemed fine, just incredibly weak.

“Is she ok?” asked Toni with concern.

“She’ll be fine, but she has to rest. Whatever was in there drained a lot of her energy.” Danny stared at her contemplatively.

“Let’s get her back to headquarters,” said John.

“Probably a good idea,” a woman’s voice said. All four of them turned around to see a woman dressed in tight shorts and a white top with bandages on her arms and a headband. It was Korena, the first female Weaponsmaster.

She came up to them and knelt by Drea. “This place may be one of the Weaponsmasters greatest tools, but it drains a lot of energy. She’ll be out for a few hours.” Korena looked up at the four of them, expressionless.

“Then let’s go,” said Danny as he picked up Drea in his arms. Korena nodded and smiled as she disappeared into dust and the four of them took off.