Chapter 48

When the five of them hit the ground, they laid there for a little while, groaning about the height of the portal. It had been at least ten feet off the ground! Drea sat up and looked around. Everyone was just lying there, and in her joy, Drea began to laugh. She was happy to be back in her world, and looking around at the forest, she couldn’t help but to be happy.

The others sat up slowly and Danny asked, “Are you glad to be back?”

“Yeah. You have no idea,” she said with a smile. She leaned in briefly to kiss him and looked around, still laughing. The warmth of his lips still sent tingles through her.

After she calmed down, she stood and turned around, only to be squeezed to death. She couldn’t breathe as arms entangled her chest and stomach. She recognized Karen’s voice immediately as she said, “You’re alive! Oh my God!” Jackie was squeezing her midsection, crying.

Suddenly Drea felt an unimaginable feeling of guilt as the two of them hugged her as though she’d disappear. She’d left them here without even any explanation.

“I thought you were dead,” sobbed Jackie.

Drea’s eyes dropped as she said, “I’m sorry I left you guys. I didn’t mean to…. I’m so sorry.”

Karen pulled herself away and wiped her eyes. “We’re just glad you’re ok. Everyone thought you’d never come back. Jackie and I thought you were dead…”

Jackie pulled herself away and said, “Don’t ever leave like that again Drea! Please don’t do that again.”

Drea bent down and hugged Jackie. “I’m sorry I left you, but I had some things I needed to do. I hope you’ll forgive me.”

“I could never stay mad at you Drea,” said Jackie. She laughed a little. Drea stood and looked at the two of them. “So I guess I owe the two of you an explanation.”

Karen just looked at her with that “you think?” look. Then she said, “You can tell us about it later. I’m sure your mom and dad want to see that you’re ok.”

Drea had almost forgotten about them. “What are we going to tell them?” Now she was feeling panicked.

“Tell them anything. I’m sure they’ll just be happy to have you back,” Danny said. Drea looked back. She had almost forgotten the four of them were behind her.

She blushed unintentionally as she introduced Danny, then Toni, Shena, and John. “Hey,” said Karen as she stepped in front of Danny and got right in his face, “You were the guy I saw earlier.” She refocused on Drea and smiled in true Karen fashion. “I knew you were going out with him!”

Drea laughed a little nervously as Jackie and Karen said hello to everyone. They actually seemed interested in her new friends, and both looked eager to really meet them. They wanted to talk more, but Shena suggested, “Why don’t we get to know each other a little better after you go see your parents?”

Drea turned and nodded. It was time to get back to her old life, but she wasn’t dreading it, she was looking forward to it. There would be a lot of new twists, and she was ready for all of them.

      *          *          *          *          *

Danny and the others left so Drea could see her parents again. She thought they’d never stop squeezing her, but she didn’t blame them. After the loss of their oldest child, it’d be devastating to lose their second child too. Drea made up some story about visiting some distant relative so they wouldn’t get the police involved, but she knew after this episode, they surely wouldn’t trust her as much. For the time being though, Danny was right: all they cared about was having her back.