Chapter 22

Drea’s dreams were filled with darkness and despair, feelings that reflected her mood. She felt like there was no way out of this bleak situation. In intervals she kept hearing whispers, or maybe it was someone yelling, but from far away. Whichever it was, she couldn’t focus enough to listen properly, but it felt urgent. The only thing she was really able to focus on was the growing hole in her heart.

She was awakened by the loud noise of the door clanging open. One human stepped inside, leaving the door open and letting the light stream in. It took Drea a minute to remember that they could transform themselves into humans, and took her another minute to realize who the human was. The blond hair and smug expression gave it away: it was Crystal. Drea hadn’t seen her since she kicked her over that day in school so long ago. It all felt like a dream now.

“Surprised to see me?” she cackled.

Drea could only lie on the floor as she stared.

“I said,” Crystal came over to Drea and grabbed her by her collar, dragging her to her feet, “surprised to see me?”

Drea spat out, “Not in the least,” between gritted teeth.

Crystal released her shirt and threw her back. She stayed on her feet. “You killed Drake then. Good job. We didn’t think you had gotten so good.” The death of a comrade seemed like nothing to her. It was seriously like she had no soul.

“Well it doesn’t matter how good you are, you won’t be leaving here. You’ll die by the hand of Alka before you are set free.” Crystal smiled and came towards her. “Before that though, you’re going to pay for what you did to me in that idiotic school and for what your little friend did to my arm.”

She advanced, stopping right in front of Drea. Drea stood and stared at her, unsure of what to expect. In a flash, Crystal punched Drea right on her face. “You think you’re so great don’t you?” she taunted. She gave Drea a punch in the stomach, knocking the air out of her lungs. Drea’s legs gave out for a moment, but before she hit the ground, Crystal knocked her in the chin with her knee. Drea was pushed towards the wall, taking hit after hit in her stomach, chest, and face. Her shoulder was burning and she could taste the blood in her mouth.

She felt her back hit the wall and the incessant hits ceased. Drea knew that she was bruised where she had been hit, and she probably had a black eye. Blood streamed from the corners of her mouth and her arms were sore from being tied behind her back. The wound on her shoulder had reopened and blood dripped slowly down her chest and back.

Her head drooped, but Crystal grabbed her hair and forced her to look up. “Nice eye sweetheart.” She grabbed Drea’s head and knocked her against the wall one more time before she walked back out into the light. Drea slid to the floor in pain for only a few moments before a new Lori walked in. Her head was throbbing and her vision was flickering. She felt lightheaded and weak, as if her soul was slowly evaporating and disappearing.

The Lori grabbed her by the arm and forced her to her feet. It made no effort to look her in the eyes, but only grabbed her dejectedly, acting as if she wasn’t even there. It made her walk, and when she couldn’t, it simply dragged her by her arm. She still felt defiant and angry, but was too weak to truly act on her emotions. She couldn’t do anything besides go along with the Lori.  

It brought her into a new room, still white, that looked like a throne room. There were no windows, with the room itself being lit by just a few dim lights. A low throne sat at the end of the room. It looked like the throne room she saw in her visions, but it wasn’t the same. Something about it made it different.

The Lori holding her dropped her on the floor and left, leaving her alone. She could still feel the throbbing in her body, but forced herself to focus. Luckily, it had dropped her in a sitting position, and she was able to take in the entirety of the room. Drea’s heart beat in her chest; she was anxious about what would happen, and curious as to her fate.