Chapter 34

Drea woke up the next morning feeling especially tired. Danny and her had battled for hours after she’d woken yesterday, ending with her victory. She knew she had to win, for Alka would be much stronger than Danny, so she used all of her techniques.

She slipped out of the couch and changed from the t-shirt and shorts she was wearing to her Kaienshi uniform. It always felt weird to her that she really didn’t have to actually change her clothes. She stretched and walked out the door, only to be hit with an incredibly strong feeling of aura.

It brought her to her knees; this aura was black as night, and there was just so much of it. It felt like tons of Lori were converging upon them all at once. Drea’s eyes widened as she realized that the aura was close by. They’ve come, she thought. They’ve finally come to get me. She knew it wouldn’t be long until the Lori came to reclaim her in order to resurrect Alka. Her greatest fears were finally coming alive: she’d have to face Alka, and she’d have to face him soon.

That thought scared her immensely, but it also hardened her resolve. It made her want to fight back. I won’t let more people in this town get hurt because of me. She raised her head and rushed to her feet. She couldn’t run out of the building fast enough.

Drea found herself outside standing atop a balcony. She jumped from the balcony to the top of a building, feeling the dark aura surround her, suffocate her.

She looked around her; she felt the aura, but she couldn’t pinpoint it. It was a combination of some very high level Lori, but it still didn’t make sense that they’d be in the city. To be in a city, near the headquarters with all these high level Kaienshi was suicide.

Even though it was early, there was no way no one else didn’t notice the spike in aura. Drea suddenly felt one of them move towards her and she took out her katana to counter. She felt the vibrations as the swords clashed and she saw a muscular Lori with vicious eyes standing in front of her. Wait, she thought as she looked in front of her. This one has a sword.

The fact that they had weapons was a testament to their skill: this wouldn’t be an easy battle. The only other Lori she fought with a weapon had been Drake, and it had been difficult to beat only him. Now there were many more. She felt another Lori come up behind her, this one just as powerful as the last one.

Drea narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out a way to counter against both. In the second just before it was about to hit her, she quickstepped out of the way, leaving the two of them to clash, or so she thought. The one who came from behind had greater speed, so instead of hitting its partner, it ricocheted off the top of the building and sped towards her.

Drea was still in the air, and nothing was underneath her to help her move out of the way. Before she could even shoot fire out of her hands, it had smashed her in the chest, sending her flying back until she hit something hard. She couldn’t move, it was like she was imprinted in a building, but she forced herself to open her eyes. To her surprise, she hadn’t hit a building. She hadn’t hit anything at all. She was suspended in the air, forced against something.

Drea pushed herself off of the surface, putting her feet up against it to allow her to stay in the air. When she touched it, it sent ripples of light out, and a slight feeling of electricity snaked through her body. It’s a force field.  That’s why no one was coming to help. The force field must’ve been keeping their aura locked in so no one could feel it. They’d notice Drea’s absence after a while anyway, but she wondered if by then it’d be too late.

She felt the throbbing in her chest from where it hit her. It was possible that it had broken a few ribs, judging from the spikes of pain shooting through her chest when she moved or breathed. I can’t stop, she thought in between breaths.