Chapter 15

It took a few days, but Drea was finally able to continue with her training. She took the bandages off Saturday night, since her parents came to check on Jackie’s story, but her body was still incredibly sore for a few days. She did get stabbed in the thigh. During those days, Drea just hung out with Karen and caught up on some school work. She talked with Danny sometimes too about Koracan and Skynea. It seemed a lot like the human world to her, but he described it with such happiness that she couldn’t help but to wonder what it was really like.

During that time, he handled the Lori, to Drea’s dismay. She wanted to get better, and sitting around wasn’t doing anything. She slowly began to take in the reality that Danny would be leaving soon. It’d been about three weeks, but she’d had really gotten attached to him. She’d only fought one Lori alone, ending with a disastrous result, meaning that she’d like to have his help for a little longer.

When they did get back to training though, Danny didn’t seem to want to move on to the final weapon just yet. He had them focus on fighting techniques and basic skills for about a week, also letting Drea handle most of the work with the Lori by herself. She got cut occasionally, but it was nothing too bad.

Drea got better with her fighting skills quickly, absorbing all the knowledge easily. Most of the Lori were easy to defeat, but of course she had some trouble sometimes. Danny thought that the one that hurt her was a high level one, so he continued to push her so she wouldn’t get hurt again. She was surprised that he would spend so much time on it.

Jackie was still suspicious, but seemed to have calmed down a little since Drea proved her wrong once again. She would tell Jackie one day, but not just yet.

Drea leaped over to the waterfall after school that day, wondering what they’d be doing. When she arrived, she saw Danny staring into the waterfall. He looked sad for some reason.

“Hey, you ok?” She came up beside him, waiting for his response.

In a minute, he turned to her. “Fine.” Drea stared at him, but neither of them spoke. He was such a bad liar.

“Today we will begin on your last weapon Andrea. Are you ready?”

Of course she was. “Why stop the skills training?”

“You no longer need to practice with them anymore. They were just to help you on the off chance you don’t have a weapon.”

“So, when do I get my weapon?” Drea’s heart flipped with excitement; having her own weapon would be beyond cool.

“You’ll get it.” He smiled at her apparent excitement. “But first I have one more weapon for you to try.” He leaned down and created the green light, opening a portal for a new weapon. It extended into a strange shape, not like a sword or knife, but something entirely different. It was like that stick that the supposed grim reaper carried around, except the handle was much shorter at maybe three feet.

When it revealed itself, Danny said, “This weapon will require a lot of tactical knowledge and skills. Many people have difficulty using it because of the weight of the blade, with only true masters being able to wield it properly.” He presented it to her. “The scythe.”

Drea took it. The weapon itself was top heavy due to the two foot long curved blade. It was extremely familiar, but she couldn’t remember how to use it. Not just how to use it, she couldn’t remember anything about it. The weight was unfamiliar and she had trouble holding it properly. Yet she knew that somewhere deep inside, she could wield the scythe. It was strange.

“Are you ready?” Danny’s voice knocked her out of her thoughts.

“Yeah…” She said quietly. “I’m ready.”