Chapter 41

Drea found herself on the rocky plain surrounded by forest. Mike stood next to her as a slight breeze blew through the rocky clearing. He was quiet, letting her take it all in.

As she looked around, all she could think was: So this is where he’s been hidden all this time. She stepped forward, further from the edge of the forest. Let’s see how strong you really are. She was frightened, she was worried, but she would do this. She would become stone and harden her emotions. Nothing would matter except victory.  

Drea breathed deeply. She had to remain focused in order to stop her hands from lighting on fire by accident. She could feel so many memories going through her head from the previous Weaponsmasters, as if they were just as nervous as she. It even became hard for her to distinguish between their realities and hers, but she didn’t care anymore. There was only one thing left to do.

She looked up to Mike. He gave her a small smile, trying to put her at ease, but she could see the fear in his eyes.

“I promise I’ll be back,” she whispered as she looked into his fierce brown eyes.

He only nodded and stepped back slightly. She turned to the middle of the clearing when she heard Mike growl menacingly. She lit her hands alight, ad turned, only to see…

“Danny…” She had a feeling he might show up, but was so surprised she forgot to put her hand out. He was standing there, a firm look on his face. He stared at Mike with contempt as Mike growled and flashed his claws.  

He didn’t look at her as he spoke, “Come on Andrea, let’s go home. This Lori can’t make you fight.”

She turned fully to face him, putting her hands out. “This Lori’s name is Mike. He was the one who rescued me after that night.” She paused and looked down before meeting his eyes again. “I was being controlled by Rikta. He was going to take me here to fight. Mike saved me and healed me. How did you find me here?”

“We worked to trace your aura. We thought the Lori had taken you, so we tried to find where Alka was hidden. One of our spies reported it was here and I was sent to keep watch until back up arrived.  That doesn’t matter now though, let’s go home. You’re safe now.” He smiled, trying to convince her, but she didn’t smile back.

“I came here on my own. Today I’ll fight Alka.”

Danny was quiet for a moment. He only stared at her and back at Mike. “He convinced you didn’t he?”

She shook her head ever so slightly. “This was my decision. Mike is my friend, no matter what he is. He’s here to help me, if I should need it.”

Mike narrowed his eyes and growled in affirmation. She continued quietly, “It’s my turn to be the Weaponsmaster Danny. The Lori will continue to come after me until they have me. I don’t need anyone else to get hurt protecting me. It’s my job to protect all of you, not the other way around.”

He still stood there, a shocked look on his face. Drea nodded to Mike and stepped forward. Danny stiffened as she approached. Without hesitating, she wrapped her arms around him. He only stood there as she held him. “I know what I’m doing Danny. I’ll come back alive. You don’t need to worry.” She pulled back and put her hand on his cheek. He still didn’t move. “Don’t you have more confidence in the student you trained?”

She caressed his cheek and said, “I’m sorry.”

Drea lit her free hand before Danny noticed and spewed fire over him, knocking him back into one of the trees. The flames transformed themselves into ropes that tied him around the trunk of the tree, keeping him chained in place.