Chapter 17

In the next few days, Drea continued to look for those voices in her mind, but they didn’t speak with her again. Even when she fought the Lori they remained quiet.

That night was different though. Drea lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling. It had been about a week since Danny left, and her days were finally returning to what they had been before he’d shown up. Her strange sense of normalcy was short-lived though.  

Drea closed her eyes and fell into sleep, trying to relax her mind and body. Instead, she found herself in a forest surrounded by tall, green trees with the suffocating smell of spring around her. A small path wound through the trees as the sun shone brilliantly in the sky. It was absolutely beautiful and incredibly peaceful.

            She felt she just might be able to relax until a series of auras came to her, though they weren’t dark like the Lori. They felt like her aura, yet were much more complex.

Then a woman appeared in front of her. It was the Japanese-looking woman she saw in her mind a few weeks ago. She still wore her hair in a tight bun, but was dressed in a loose red top with army green pants. The young man she saw materialized next to the woman. He was young, but Drea could tell he was wise with his knowing, yet kind eyes. A few others stood next in the background, all of them staring at her intently.

            This is a dream isn’t it? thought Drea helplessly.

            “Yes, you’re dreaming,” said the Japanese woman with a smile. Her voice echoed through the forest despite its low volume.

            “Who are all of you?” asked Drea aloud this time. There really wasn’t a point in thinking if they could hear her thoughts anyway.

            “We are the ones you saw in your mind,” she responded simply, as if it were obvious.

            “Why string me along for so long? Why give me these visions and messages without telling me what they mean?” 

            “You needed a little more time.” She raised her head, looking Drea right in the eyes. “It’s time you know what you are. In response to your question earlier, we are the former Weaponsmasters.” She gestured with her hands to the people around her.

            Had she heard right? The Weaponsmasters were visiting her in her dreams. How realistic. “So what, do all Kaienshi get visited by the Weaponsmasters in their dreams?” She was being sarcastic now.

            The woman laughed and the man smiled. “Don’t be silly, that’d be way too much work! Don’t you understand? You are the new Weaponsmaster.”

            Drea would’ve continued her sarcasm, she would’ve denied it, she would’ve argued, but she only stood there, paralyzed. As much as she wanted not to believe it, she knew what they said was true. It felt right to hear them say that, and she could feel the truth in their words. So many thoughts, worries, and fears began to assault her. She barely thought she could be a Kaienshi, and now she would have to be the Weaponsmaster.

            The young man stepped towards her and put a hand on her shoulder. He practically towered over her, he was so tall. He looked into her eyes and said, “I know what you must be feeling. It’s all incredibly overwhelming. We all know you are capable though.”

            She looked at him, questions in her eyes. He chuckled. “I suppose we haven’t fully introduced ourselves. I’m Shawn, the first human Weaponsmaster.” The woman stepped up beside them. “And I am Korena, the first female Weaponsmaster.”