Chapter 26

Danny stared at Drea lying on her side through the Plexiglas. She kept clenching and unclenching her fists as she slowly tried to get up, failing each time.

Shena walked in the room quietly. She didn’t say a word as they stared at her in disbelief. None of them thought she’d go that far.

“Shouldn’t we go help her?” asked Toni with a concerned look on her face.

“No,” responded Shena. She neither seemed proud nor unhappy at what she’d done. She only looked impassive. “She needs to learn for herself.”

The four of them stood there in silence. John spoke next, “Well you can’t say she isn’t determined.” He nodded towards Drea. She was half way up now, using a staff as an anchor. Danny remembered that determined look on her face, that look that meant she would never give up, but it was different now. When Danny looked at her, she looked truly alone. She wasn’t smiling and laughing like he remembered her, she was angry and cold. Drea had put a barrier around herself. She wasn’t happy in Koracan and the way they were treating her wasn’t helping. She’d closed herself off and made her heart stone once again.

Danny felt a pang of guilt go through him; she was feeling this way because of him. He sighed and turned his attention back to the others.

“What’ll we do with her now?” asked John.

“She’ll have to rest until tomorrow,” said Danny. “Then this training can resume.”

They nodded and went to go get her. She had made it to her feet now, and stared in contempt at the four of them, including Danny. His heart dropped.

“You need to rest for a while Andrea. You can continue tomorrow.” Shena looked adamant.

Drea stood straight. “Fine.” She made her staff disappear, but it was only for a second before she fell forward. Toni caught her before she hit the ground and looked down at her with her unwavering kind eyes. Drea’s expression softened for a moment before she hardened her expression again. Toni helped her up and let her lean on her as they walked back.

Danny just wished he could get Drea to trust him like that again.

      *          *          *          *          *

Drea woke in the middle of the night. She couldn’t sleep. She had been taken to the center of town where the base of operations was. It was where all the working Kaienshi got their missions, but there were rooms also. Drea was sleeping on a couch in a sitting room by herself. Toni had offered to stay with her, but Drea wanted to be alone.

Toni really had been very kind to her though, and Drea was happy to have her around. Maybe it would’ve been better if Toni had trained her. Maybe.

Drea got up off the couch and looked down at herself. She was still in her Kaienshi uniform, and was feeling stronger. Now I can do some training without them watching me, she thought as she left the room and raced out into the open.

It was a crisp night as the stars shone the way. A few assorted streetlights popped up every now and again in the trees, reminding Drea of the similarities to the real world. The trees dotted the dirt pathways as she ran over the rooftops, eventually entering the forest where the underground training room was.

She got down to the bottom and flicked the switch, turning on the dim lights. It was quiet; just like she liked it.

“Zen?” Her voice echoed off the empty walls.

What is it you need?

You don’t already know?

He made a sound that sounded like a smirk. Very funny.