35

. . . "Why'd you leave me and mommy for so long?" The young girl asks, looking up at her momma. Taylor's heart sank and she smiles sadly at her. "Well, sweetie, I didn't leave you and mommy by choice. I never would choose to leave you two." Taylor starts, sitting on the side of the bed. "I was made to by the cops. They took me from your mommy and they took me from you."
"But why? Don't they know you love us?"
Taylor tears up, having to have this conversation alone with Tori. "Honey, of course they knew I love you both. I love you both very much...they took me because I was breaking a rule."

. . .
Taylor explains how she was her mommy's teacher, and how she wasn't supposed to be with Karlie before. Most of the way through the story, Taylor was in tears. Tori reached out and held Taylor's hand, trying to sooth her.

"What's going on in here?" Karlie asks, standing in the doorway with damp hair and a tank top and shorts on. Taylor just turns to look at Karlie, and that's all it takes for Karlie to rush into the room and take her girlfriend in her arms. "Hey, shh. It's alright." Karlie coos, stroking the older girl's hair. "What's wrong babe?" Karlie asks, wiping at Taylor's tears. "I-I...I'm awful." Taylor stutters, tears still rushing out of her eyes. "No you're not. Why would you think that?" Karlie is confused, and hurt by hearing her girlfriend talk about herself like that. "T-Tori. Sh-she asked-" Karlie cut her off by turning to her daughter. "Tori, can you explain to mommy what happened?" Karlie asks nicely, rubbing Taylor's back. Tori explains everything about why Taylor is crying right now. "Honey, momma is back now, and that's all in the past. All we can do is put it behind us and move on. Momma is here to stay now. She's not going anywhere." Karlie pauses to look at Taylor. "I won't let her." Karlie finishes, kissing Taylor's head.

"I'm sorry momma. I love you." Tori says, reaching out for a hug which is readily returned.

Both girls tuck Tori in and kiss her goodnight before they both head into their room and climb into their bed. Karlie climbs in first, holding her arms open for her lover. Taylor snuggles into Karlie's side and lays her head on the taller girl's chest. "Are you okay, Tay?" Karlie asks, holding the girl close to her. "Mhm. I just feel awful that I left you two. I never meant to hurt you both." Taylor mumbles, playing with the fingers on one of Karlie's hands. "Baby, remember what I said to Tori. I meant it. It's in the past now, we've gotta leave it there. You're back with us now, that's all that matters now." Karlie tries her best to sooth her love. Taylor nods and looks up at Karlie with a smile on her face. "I love you Karlie."
"I love you too sweetheart. Goodnight." Karlie replies, planting a sweet, loving kiss on Taylor's lips.

• • •

"Momma, I can't sleep." Tori taps Taylor's arm and pouts. Taylor yawns and rubs her eyes to wake herself up. "Why not? What's wrong honey?" Taylor asks, picking the toddler up and setting her down on her stomach. Karlie rolls over onto her back, faces Taylor and looks up at her daughter. "What's going on?" Karlie asks, turning to look at Taylor. "I can't sleep mommy." Tori says, yawning. "How come?" Karlie asks, reaching up to hold her daughter's hand. "I'm scared that momma will be gone when I wake up." Tori sniffs, beginning to cry. "Baby, don't cry. I'm not going anywhere. I'm home for good, remember? Momma won't leave you or your mommy ever again." Taylor says firmly, tears building in her eyes. Tori curls up next to Taylor, and Taylor moves a little onto her side to allow the girl to curl into her. Karlie takes the opportunity to spoon her girlfriend, kissing the back of her neck as Taylor cuddles into Karlie's stomach. "I feel so bad Kar. I scarred our little girl for being away." Taylor begins to cry. "Come here." Karlie says, turning Taylor around and holding her close. Taylor cries into her girlfriend's chest and Karlie just rubs Taylor's back. "Baby, none of this is your fault. You didn't leave by choice. The law made you leave. Please don't blame yourself. We are back together now and that's all that counts. We have you back, all we can do is move forward and move on from that bad time." Karlie says, leaning down to press sweet kisses on Taylor's head. Taylor sniffles and wipes her tears before looking up at Karlie and kissing her. "Now, where's that smile?" Karlie teases. Taylor smiles at Karlie and Karlie gives the same smile right back. "There's my beautiful girl." Karlie says, kissing Taylor's forehead.

Taylor rolls back over to hold Tori and Karlie takes her position again as the big spoon, holding her girlfriend closely. "Goodnight baby. I love you." Karlie whispers, kissing behind Taylor's ear. "Goodnight Kar. I love you too." Taylor reaches one hand behind her to brush her hand along Karlie's hair and moves down to Karlie's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze before closing her eyes and drifting off into the best sleep she's gotten in months. Sandwiched between the two biggest loves of her life, a big smile on her face, and her heart swelling with the love she feels for the two girls sleeping on either side of her.