39

A phone call wakes up the two lovers, who were happily tangled together in their large bed. Taylor answers the phone as Karlie groans and moans and hides her face in Taylor's neck. "Hello?" Taylor answers sleepily. "MOMMA!" Tori yells into the phone. "Hi baby. How are you today?" Taylor asks, a smile on her face as she hears her daughter speak. "I miss you momma. Gramma's making me pancakes!" Tori's little voice sounded so excited. "I miss you too baby. Are you behaving for grandma?" Taylor asks. "Yeah! Here, gramma wants to talk to you." Tori says, handing the phone over to Andrea. "Hi Tay, how's it going over there?" Andrea asks, her voice sounding happy. "Hi mom. It's good, although someone's grumpy." Taylor laughs, looking down at Karlie. "Am not." Karlie says into her neck. "Whatever you say, babe." Taylor laughs, pressing a kiss into Karlie's hair. "You always hated mornings too." Andrea warns with a playful laugh. "What time are you girls going dress shopping?"

"Probably around 2. Lily and Cara are going with Karlie, I'm going by myself to the shop across the street." Taylor explains. The girls both decided they weren't going to show the other their dress until the night of prom. They agreed it would be a better surprise. "Alright, but you both have to send me a picture of your dress. I can't wait to see them." Andrea loved when her daughter went to her own prom back in high school, and was so thrilled she got to see her daughter, years later, back at a prom in a new beautiful dress. "Of course mom." Taylor smiles.

They talk for a while, about lots of things, eventually hanging up so the girls could get ready for the busy day ahead of them. "Good morning baby." Taylor smiles, tilting Karlie's head up so their eyes meet. "Good morning my love." Karlie smiles back, fitting Taylor's lips with her own, kissing her good morning. After their kiss, Karlie covered her mouth, scrambled to her feet and ran to the bathroom. Taylor worriedly followed behind her, taking her hair in one hand and rubbing her back with the other. "Oh, honey." Taylor cooed once Karlie was finished. "I hate morning sickness." Karlie grumbled, going to the sink to brush her teeth and rinse her mouth. "Want me to make you breakfast, babe?" Taylor asks, wrapping an arm around Karlie's waist. Karlie just nodded. "Does toast and fruit sound good? Maybe some yogurt too?" Taylor suggested. Karlie nodded and kissed Taylor's cheek. "I'll be downstairs if you need me." Taylor says, giving Karlie a parting kiss on her temple before going downstairs to prepare them breakfast.
Karlie ties her hair up in a messy bun before getting dressed for the day in some sweatpants and one of Taylor's oversized shirts before heading downstairs.

"Hi sweetheart. Feeling better?" Taylor asks, pulling out the chair for her. "Mmhm." Karlie hums, taking a fork to pick up a piece of cut up watermelon to eat. Taylor rubs Karlie's arm before sitting across from her and eating her own breakfast. "So, what time are the girls coming to get you? I'm gonna take a shower before we leave." Taylor asks, eating some toast. "Around 1:30. They want to get there early. Cara doesn't want the good dresses picked over." Karlie laughs, finishing up her breakfast. "Of course Cara would say that. I'm gonna be going to the shop across the street, but you know to call me if you need me, right?" Taylor asks, picking up Karlie's dishes. "Yes, babe, I know. Stop worrying about me." Karlie sighs, throwing a smile in Taylor's direction. Taylor finishes up the dishes and heads upstairs to take a shower. While Taylor showers, Karlie sends a text to Cara telling her that they'd be ready shortly and that she could come over anytime.

• • •

"Everyone decent?" Cara yells as she walks right into Taylor's apartment. Karlie and Taylor are cuddled up together on the couch, karlie sitting between Taylor's legs as the older girl runs her hands gently through her hair. "Ugh." Cara rolls her eyes and plops down on their lounge chair. "You're just jealous you don't have a girlfriend as great as Taylor." Karlie says, laughing at her friend. "I could. I just like the single life right now."

"Yeah, and I'm the queen of England." Karlie jokes. "Alright, enough you two. Do we need to separate you?" Lily says, stepping in. "No." They both answer.

The four girls head out to the car, and Taylor drives them to the local prom dress shops. Karlie sits in the passenger seat, connecting her hand with Taylor's over the center console. Lily and Cara are in the back seat, Cara fake gagging at her two friends in front of her. "Stop being a child, Car." Lily laughs, shoving her a little.

They finally arrive at the two shops and Taylor parallel parks the car. She gets out, goes over to Karlie's side of the car, opens the door and helps her girlfriend out of the car. "Okay, baby. I'm going to be right across the street. Call me if you need anything. I love you." Taylor says, smiling, before connecting their lips. "I love you too babe." Karlie says, snuggling her head into the crook of the older girl's neck. Taylor presses a few kisses to Karlie's head, and lingers her lips in Karlie's hair on the last kiss.

Hours pass and Cara and Lily have found their perfect dresses. Both dresses were among the first that the girls tried on, but they kept trying on different dresses just for fun. Karlie, on the other hand, was on the verge of a breakdown. She, too, had spent multiple hours trying on dresses, all of which left her unhappy. Her baby bump had grown, making it harder to fit into her regular size.
"There's gotta be ONE dress in this place that you liked." Cara says.
"None of them fit me!! I can't do this!" Karlie cries, growing more frustrated. Lily sneaks away to go call the one person who can calm her friend down. "Hey Lil, everything okay?" Taylor answers. "Hey Tay. No, your girlfriend is having a midlife crisis over here." Lily explains. "Okay, hang in there. I'm on my way." Taylor says, hanging up the phone. "I'll be right back, my girlfriend is across the street having issues. Can you hold the dresses in that fitting room please? I'm still trying to decide." Taylor explains to one of the store employees, pointing to the room she just exited from. "Of course. Take your time." The employee says, heading into the fitting room and shutting the dresses in the room. She writes "in use" on a white board on the door so that no one goes in until Taylor comes back.

Taylor makes it across the street to find her girlfriend crying into her hands and their friends standing around her, looking completely helpless. Taylor walks over to karlie, sits down next to her, and pulls her in and hugs her. "Shh, I'm here baby. What's wrong?" Taylor asks, slightly rocking them back and forth. "None of the dresses fit, and I can't even get into some of them, I've gotten too fat, I just can't do this." Karlie cries. "Sweetheart, you're going to look beautiful no matter what you wear. Your bump is beautiful. Our two little ones are in there. Let them show in your dress. It'll make you even more beautiful." Taylor says, stroking Karlie's hair. "You always know what to say." Karlie smiles, hugging Taylor. "Alright, we've got dresses to find! Girls, take care of her, help her find the perfect dress." Taylor smiles, standing up and bringing Karlie up with her. "Okay, now go find that dress. I love you." Taylor plants a kiss on Karlie's lips, then her nose, just to see her girl giggle and smile. "I love you too Tay. Thank you." Karlie returns the kisses and smiles her big, toothy grin that always puts Taylor in a good mood.

A few hours later, Karlie has selected the perfect dress and Taylor has too. Taylor calls Lily to make sure everything is okay and that the girls all have their dresses bagged before she makes her way across the street to meet up with them. "Hey baby. Hey guys." Taylor says as she walks in, opening her arms for Karlie, who walks right into them.

The dresses are neatly and carefully folded into the trunk of Taylor's car and the girls walk down the street to a popular cafe for coffee and snacks after a long day of shopping. They sit down, Taylor's hand resting comfortably on Karlie's thigh.

They talk and laugh together until someone interrupts them. "Karlie?"

. . . to be continued