Blessed Under the Mallorn Trees

The 17th of Sulime,
510 TA

Caras Galadhon was exquisite. The twinkling torches littered the branches like stars that hung too low. The sunlight filtered in shafts, landing on the golden floor of the forest. The gentle breeze rocked the banners and flowers that hung suspended from the forest canopy. The tortuous stairways, climbing, up, up, into the branches were lit with soft blue light. The ornate and delicate flets could be seen on every level of the trees. The farther up and in the branches you dwelled, the higher status you were gifted with.

Oh, but the music. A continual mist of voices rising from every corner of the city. The singers could not be seen. Some would says 'twas elven magic, but the elves see it differently. They say it was the song of Iluvator, rebirthed in the voices of his people. The song was not always happy; at times it was quite sad. Many deeds were retold, many legends unveiled. This way the elflings of Caras Galadhon knew much more of their history than others, save Rivendell.

The grandest and largest tree rose from the top of the hill. Here the palace and great hall of the royal family lay, and only the servants and guards dwelt with the family. It was in full view of the city, yet quiet and secluded among the treetops.

 Celebrian was currently in her mother's home, resting from her cares as Lady of Imladris

Celebrian was currently in her mother's home, resting from her cares as Lady of Imladris. As much as she loved her husband Elrond and The Last Homely House, she wearied of merry court life and longed for the secluded nature of her maiden home. She had brought the princess Arwen with her. Arwen was counted among Galadriel's daughters, and was second only to her mother. A fun-loving and intelligent child, Arwen already showed a promise of being fair, possibly more fair than her grandmother. Whispers could be heard from the lowest rank up that she could be the second Tinuviel, fairest elf maiden of all time. But Celebrian and Galadriel took greatest care to shield Arwen's little ears from such praise, and training her to be a humble, gentle maiden, worthy of following in Tinuviel's footsteps.

The party of Galadriel, the babe nestled in her arms, Celebrian and Arwen moved quickly up the stairs of their home. Celebrian had her hands full making sure Arwen stayed close. The little elfling loved scampering up the ladders off of the stairway, and peeking her little head into the various flets to say hello to the servants and guards stationed there. Finally she giggled and clambered up the rest of the stairs, almost allowing her mother to catch her before grinning and zipping away to find her grandfather, Celeborn.

Celeborn was a mysterious elf. Calm, calculated, even a little cool, his silver hair and eyes spoke of Sindarin descent. He, like the late Oropher of the Woodland Realm, could remember as far back as to Doriath, the great realm of Melian the Maiar. He had removed Galadriel and his family from that place a few centuries before the fall of that kingdom. He dwelt as an advisor for Celebrimbor and Gil-Galad before coming to Lothlorien. He had seen his fill of war and strife, and now some people called him the Scroll Lord, because of his fondness of books, history, and quiet peace. Lothlorien suited him. It really did. But if you ever wanted to hear of a side of Celeborn that few have seen, you should have asked Celebrian and Arwen, for he doted on them with all the joyful Ada love he could give. Often his laugh would ring out from the treetops when his daughter was home, indicating for everyone around that he was happy to have his girls home again.

"Haru!" Arwen's squeal rang down the hall. "Come see what we found! Haldir rescued it! Whatever it is..." Here Arwen paused in contemplation.

"Iellig, you must be overly excited about something to be squealing that loudly in my otherwise peaceful halls. You have interrupted my reading session, don't you see?" Celeborn appeared around a corner and feigned a crestfallen face.

Arwen giggled and pulled on his hand. "Oh, but I KNOW you won't refuse ME, will you my haru? You have said before that I am absolutely impossible to resist."

Celeborn then looked sheepish as he realized now that his wife and daughter were standing in the stairwell, looking at him none too pleased with Arwen's latest statement. "You were not supposed to hear that, iellig." He quickly retorted.

Arwen shrugged and then her face lit up again. "But now I have got you and I am going to show you the thing we have!" She tugged him over to Galadriel and asked her grandmother sweetly, "please show us, Haruni? I promise to be good and not say a thing."

Before Galadriel could reply, the babe let out a pitiful cry. Celeborn started and peered inquisitively into his wife's arms. "What? An elfling?" He swiftly took the wrapped up babe from Galadriel and gazed more interestingly into its face. A long silence followed before he looked up, a small smile playing about his calm demeanor. "The little thing is healthy, but quite starved. I suggest food before we give take this matter any further."

Galadriel and Celebrian sighed, relieved. "You appealed to her feä, didn't you? Galadriel asked, tears again glistening in her eyes. She glanced tenderly at the elfling again before smiling at her husband. "You knew it was Rîniel?"

"Yes, dear wife, I did. Ever since that day you told me of what you saw in your Mirror, I knew it would come to pass somehow. I did see her feä just now, but I only gently looked. Her body is weak and, seeing she is but a small thing, could not withstand much interference."

"Yes. I would have already done it myself, but I was afraid to overwhelm her." Galadriel sighed somewhat sadly. "My power can occasionally be too strong for delicate things. Even so," she paused and her face grew thoughtful, "I knew she was the one that would comfort me in my memory. That's why I called her Rîniel. She is special, sent to me by the Valar. I can only hope that..." Here Galadriel's voice grew deeper and more solemn, "her fate will not tarnish the obvious light in her eyes."

Celeborn smiled. "And I see that as confirmation that you are already prepared to give the Remembrance Blessing right now to officially name her. That is right. We must not delay or else she cannot be fully apart of this household."

"She will be praised. She will live among us here. Although I cannot have the privilege of calling her my daughter, I will have her apart of my hand maidens. I will train her to be gentle, humble, and courageous. Alas, because of the doom her name will bring, she will try hard to be merry and glad-hearted, like other fair maidens of her time. But she will see too much. In her dreams she will catch glimpses of past things, good and bad. She will never be able to see her future or anyone else's, and that will haunt her. But she will be fair, and whenever her smile alights on something it will be renewed." Here Galadriel stiffened and clenched her fists, and seemed to grow taller. "But I will endeavor to protect her, to shield her from heartbreak. She will stay pure. I will protect her like I could not others of my younger days." She turned and then taking Celeborn's hand, turned in the direction of her apartments. She paused and gazed into Arwen's small, bewildered face. "Do not worry, iellig. Time will tell you all you wish to know." With that she departed, cradling Rîniel ever-tenderly in her arms. It was on that day Celebrian saw a vulnerable side of her mother that she had not seen for a thousand years, and wondered what was to come of it.