Words and Music

Yávië (Harvest Autumn)           3rd month, year 1101 TA

The speech was long, but eloquent and enthralling. The king awed the people with his powerful oration, a unifying speech praising the Greenwood and thanking the Valar for the harvest. It ended in a solemn command to never cease watch over the ground Yavanna had given them. Rîniel thought she saw a pained look pass over the elvenking's face as he said this, and he looked a great deal older.

The speech ended and the elves sent their praises solemnly towards the heavens, before turning back to the food in front of them. It was chaos, with elves reaching this way and that for meats and cheeses, fresh vegetables and fruits, and the ever-flowing tankards of wine. Laughter floated throughout the entire clearing, and Rîniel heard the trees carrying the sounds of the feast into the starry night.

The Prince was quiet during most of the meal, only turning to smile at her or ask her if she needed anything. Once again, her plate never lacked anything. She let her eyes wander over the king's table, noting carefully the placement of the nobles of the different houses.

Three noble ladies sat on the side of the queen, their carriages lofty and regal. She noted their seeming lack of interest in the queen herself, their hushed conversations being mostly directed to each other or their spouses across from them. The Queen didn't seem to mind, her attention focused on the laughing elves on the other side of the clearing. Rîniel noted the flicker of longing in her eyes as she watched the Silvan families mill about the clearing. But whenever the king could break away from his conversations with the diplomats across from him, the queen seemed to forget everything else except him, and the soft laughter of the royal couple filled the ears of those around them.

The elves around her were mostly dull, boring counselors or captains of the Greenwood militia. However, Legolas soon introduced her to one of the older captains, whose kind smile immediately made her comfortable. He did not speak much, however, letting his eyes and ears wander much like Rîniel did.

Risking a quick peek further down the table to her left, she found Lady Dureth amongst the ladies she had been invited to sit with. Many of them were younger, closer to her number of years. To her right and a little farther from the queen, the mirthful eyes of Lord Daechir next to his father found hers, making Rîniel look away quickly after realizing his attention.

The king was silent, cool and collected during the ever lengthening feast. He never once glanced to the right or left except when looking at his wife. He smiled only at her, choosing to tap his wine glass with his slender fingers while showing no emotion on his face...obviously a diplomatic strategy to show the ellyn in front of him that he was not interested in their wheedling and prying for flattery.

At last, Rîniel turning her cup over, smiling to herself. "I simply cannot sit here anymore and watch the children gallivant, or watch the ladies laugh without joining in," she turned to her companion, whose silent nod of approval gave her more than enough assent. With a happy giggle, she leapt from the table to join the giddy band of children that had chosen the center of the clearing for their fun and games.

When she left, the king leaned to his son, his eyes trained on the flaming elleth clapping and singing with the children. "Keep an eye on her, won't you?" He muttered, his eyes softening a little when he looked at his son.

The Prince raised an eyebrow, but nodded slowly. "You have my word." And in truth he did, for the entirety of the meal his eyes rarely came to rest on anything but the petite form of the lady from Lothlorien.

Meanwhile, Rîniel's presence had attracted more than one small friend from the gardens, and the giggles and smiles from that happy band of youthful faces seemed to brighten the entire clearing. Some of the smaller ones began to sing in their tiny lisps, and soon the entire band caught the song, clapping their hands in tune, so that the elves of all the table turned to look with wonder upon the scene.