A Confusing Day

Yávië (Harvest/Autumn)           3rd month, year 1101 TA

Rîniel peeked out into the hall.

Perfect. She had timed it just right.

Stifling her giggles, she fled down the hall from her room, as lightly as she could without attracting the presence of any near by guards. Her eyes danced merrily as she tiptoed slowly away from her rooms.

She rejoiced once she had made it out of the royal quarters. The early morning sun had not even begun to peek through the purposeful cracks in the tall ceiling, so the golden lamps were the only things lighting her way.

She was finally out of reach of those pesky, silent guards. In Lothlorien she never needed guards to escort her anywhere, but here she always needed an escort. What a trial it was!

She knew that Glasseth would undoubtably call her to break fast in her quarters soon, so she would have a quick look around and get back in time before they found she had disappeared.

The twists and turns of the hallways soon made her almost dizzy. Her feet echoed quietly, and occasionally she would catch a glimpse of another elf hurrying by on some errand or business. No one recognized her, so she continued on happily through the halls.

Finally, she knew she had made it to the outer edge of the fortress. The halls were lighter and there were many, many more elves surrounding her. Thankfully she melted right into the crowd, her dress being of forest green this time, and her shoulders covered with a light shawl to ward off any drafts.

Garments had been one of the first lessons she had been taught by Galadriel. "Rîniel, my love, in the world of politics and ceremony, your garments should always reflect your intentions." Galadriel had said as she placed a few flowers gently into young Rîniel's hair as they sat together by a fountain. "Never dress to impress. Always embrace the garments of the people you have come to pay respect to.  Wear the colors of the place you are residing in. Bear the emblem of the leading houses or house upon your chest with pride. These things you shall do, and these things will bring you honor. Show unity, yet always remain close to your own home. That is something no one can take away, as they can take away the fallible trust or bonds with another land."

Rîniel had learned that lesson well, and was abiding by it as best as she could. Her colors would be greens and browns, just as this forest was, with the many vibrant shades beside. In a way, she loved them. They were earthy and beautiful, as natural as the bushes and trees.

Suddenly she saw an opening filled with sunlight, and it distracted her thoughts completely. She moved slowly towards it, not to attract attention, and made it out without company.

The sight nearly took her breath away. She was standing on a balcony of pale stone that matched the outside walls, and the ornately carved rails trailed in swooping patterns alongside the edge of the cliff. A stairway down to the ground below led off the balcony and swept downwards in a wide skirt. She was on the very outside edge of the fortress, she could see. The sunlight warmed her completely and she sighed with relief.

She looked down as she absorbed the sunlight. The ground below her was a flat large clearing, and there was much activity going on. She startled when she realized that this was the stable grounds. Several patrols and guards were moving around among stablehands, everyone seeming to rush around in an endless bevy of movement. The horses pranced at their tethers that were fastened to the posts stationed by a bubbling spring in the westernmost corner of the stable yard.

She noticed one horse in particular. It was tall, and steel grey. It seemed lively but noble. Its neck arched eagerly the stare at something hidden behind it. She giggled at the horse's antics. She had always enjoyed watching them.