Coming of Age

The 15th of Sulime,
                                          608 TA

Inside a flowery bower attached to the Royal flet by just a single bridge, sat our heroine. She had dark brown hair, and big gentle silver blue eyes. Her soft lips wore an ever-peaceful expression. The circlet on her head gave away her position in the household of Galadriel. Her small hands gracefully caressed a peace of embroidery. Rîniel was fully enjoying her few hours of rest allowed her. This bower situated high in the swaying tree tops had been a gift to her by Galadriel on her celebration day of turning 50, officially an adult elleth. Rîniel smiled softly as she contemplated her next step in adulthood. Within the month, she would officially join elven society as a member and begin to sit on Celeborn's councils as a participant, not just a handmaiden. Galadriel mentioned her memories being of use on the council. Rîniel sighed. She did not desire to tell others of her memories, because that meant she would have to call them up on her own. She had only attempted this once, and it had been a painful experience. Oh well. As long as she could be of service to the Lord and Lady. They had done so much for her, helping them would be the least she could do.

A long, sweet whistle rose up from the bottom of the bridge. Rîniel started leaned over the railing of the bower. "Who goest there?" She called out playfully, knowing exactly who used that whistle for her. He had given it to her as a child, saying that it was the only sound he could utter that had entertained her when she followed him about his work.

The tall ellon below cried out, "A humble ellon seeking sanctuary in the lady's palace! Dost thou allow it?"

"You needn't ask Haldir!" Rîniel retorted. "You would have come in anyway, whether I wanted it or no!"

He laughed, and catching hold of a silvery vine hanging from the boughs, sailed through the air and leapt upon the deck of the bower. Haldir was tall. His face was generally as solemn as Celeborn's. He was the second in command Marchwarden under his older brother Haldor. Radillion, the ellon who rescued Rîniel, had sailed soon after she was adopted into Galadriel's household. Haldor had chosen his younger brother to help him control the vast borders of Lothlorien, and Haldir did his job well.

Haldir often resided with the Lord and Lady in Caras Galadhon. He assisted Celeborn in many defensive tactics, and kept the city guard fit and ready for action at all times. He had not seen as many battles as his older brother, but had wisdom beyond his years. He was only 500 years older than Rîniel, but his eyes carried the weight of a thousand years.

Right now he was merry. He enjoyed Rîniel's young company. She had followed him around like a dog when she was an elfling, and their friendship had only grown as she grew older. He protected her, as he knew what burden she carried. They spent much of their allowed free time together, wandering the gardens or climbing trees, talking of nothing and everything at once.

He snorted at the perturbed look on her face as she tried to wipe the mud off the railing where he had landed. "What, do you think I train the horses in a golden stable with no dirt to be seen? You should know me better by now, my lady."

"Oh, but you could at least be a gentleman and wipe your feet at the door, instead of swinging in here like any naughty ellon." Rîniel scowled. Haldir absently thought of how cute she looked with that scowl across her fair features. She had always been a tidy little housekeeper. He obediently went and wiped his feet on the soft rug by the door.

"Now, would you like the message I came to give you, or would you prefer to wait until you have a pleasant expression on your face again?" Haldir asked sarcastically. Rîniel laughed and came to sit beside him where he was now leaning up against a pillar. She clasped her hands demurely in her lap.

"What is the message, mellon?" She asked.

Haldir handed her a parchment with Galadriel's seal. "I think she needs to speak with you." He said with a wink before turning to go. Rîniel furrowed her brow.

"Indeed. Thank you, Haldir." She said softly. He bowed and left. She turned her attention back to the paper in her hand. She broke the seal and immediately let the letter drop as Galadriel started to speak.

Rîniel, my love, the elvenking of Greenwood wishes us to attend a coming of age celebration in his kingdom. He intends it to be for all young elves coming of age within five years. We will leave in a fortnight. What do you say? It would be a perfect time to meet more of the elven kin that you have yet to see. However, you might be called upon to speak since your high status with us is known. I know your memories still trouble you in front of crowds. I will not push you to accept or even to go with us. You may stay here, if that is your wish. Galadriel's soft voice whispered in Rîniel's head.

Rîniel swallowed. This was an opportunity she would not want to miss. But it would be terrifying! Never in her life had she left the forests of Lothlorien. And to go to the halls of the elvenking, no less! She heard he was cold and stern, even more so than her lord. But, to be able to meet other young nobles her age... She sighed and nodded her head. I agree, my lady. It is the right decision. I shall accompany you.

She could hear Galadriel smile gently. Their feä together twinkled warmly in mutual understanding before Galadriel withdrew.

Rîniel gazed out over the twinkling flets in the branches of other trees. There were so many unknowns to this journey. She hoped she made the right decision.