A Mistake

Yávië (Harvest/Autumn) 3rd month, year 1101 TA

Rîniel shivered and pulled her cloak closer to her body, even though the sweat dripped off her forehead. Once again, she glanced anxiously around, the dark feeling of foreboding pressing against her.

The trees pressed closer on every side as the party of elves traveled farther into the woods. The vines and leaves seemed to entwine together in one dark mass, and the wind whistled hauntingly through the treetops. But she could not feel the wind. Down on the forest floor nothing seemed to breathe. The air was close and stifling.

It was so different from the last time she traveled through the forest. No trees guarded the borders, no echoes whispered her name. Instead there was a fear. A nameless malice that seemed to infiltrate every inch of the woods.

The bracelet that the elvenking had given her during the last visit throbbed painfully. She looked at it in alarm. The green glow was diminishing, failing, falling away into nothing. It flickered on and off, and soon she realized it would fade away altogether.

"My lady." The captain of the guard that had accompanied her approached on his horse, his face stern and worried. He wiped the sweat from his brow before continuing. "The scouts have sensed a presence near us, and we cannot determine friend or foe. Be ready to flee if such occasion arises." Two personal guards on either side of her swiftly took the thongs of her bridle and tied it to theirs to ensure her horse would not bolt and they would be able to guide her out of the area quickly.

"Hannon le, hîr nin." She sighed and adjusted her cloak to show the dagger at her waist. It scared her to see the glittering metal at her hip. She was not used to carrying weapons, but it had been a necessity on this trip. She was somewhat afraid of the very thing that was supposed to protect her, because so easily it seemed she could lose control of the blade and it would bite her before she could bite anything with it.

She shook her head at her own foolishness. How cowardly she must be, so afraid of something that many elves used every day to protect her and their homeland. She could not help it. There were too many things she had seen.

The party continued on, picking their way through the woods. Rîniel was surrounded on every side by grim faced elves that were armed with every type of weapon she had ever seen. They drifted through the treetops above her as well, and she could hear the light pattering of their footsteps on the wood. The leaves whispered faintly with the rustle of their camouflaged garments.

They had been following the white stoned-marked path from Lothlorien. The elves that had constructed it did well, especially in making sure it was well hidden but well-marked for those who knew to look for it, and also smooth. It wound its way around Hills and under cliffs, crisscrossing and entwining with bushes and glens. Rîniel trusted fully in the skill of her guardians, for even she, who had access to all of Lothlorien's  books and scrolls, could not track such a well made path.

As they had entered the gloomy wood, however, the path had dwindled frighteningly. Only a rare marking could be seen and the roots and branches crawled their way over the smooth pathway and open air overhead.

Yes, the trees were still growing. But now it was a twisted sort of growth, as if the trees were being forced to grow all the wrong ways, as if to hinder itself instead of heal. It was unnerving and frightening, especially because of the creaking and groaning that was so prevalent.

She had insisted on going alone to the elvenking's realm, but now she almost regretted that decision. Maerdes had fought her, Tatharwen had actually cried real, angry tears, but she had bade them stay in Lothlorien where it was safe, and they could continue living their lives in peace.