The Gates of The Forest Realm

The 26th of Sulime,
608 TA

The journey was mostly uneventful. A few scattered thunderstorms, nothing Galadriel couldn't handle. Rîniel relaxed when Celeborn had explained the cloud of concealment that Galadriel was currently keeping around them. They were just a bunch of whispers in the trees if anyone happened to pass by them. Celeborn said the outlying territories and lands were safe, but they were still watching closely. A guarded peace. That was the name all the elves had given the time period after the overthrowing of Sauron. He still slept, somewhere out in the dark corners of the world, nursing his hate. But he could not return. Not yet, not when his main source of power was yet concealed. Therefore, the races of Arda had to be very careful, lest he craftily devise another way to deceive them. That must not happen again.

Rîniel shook herself out of her dark thoughts and looked around. They were  almost to the borders of Greenwood. She could hear the trees even from this distance as she gazed upon the growing dark line on the horizon. The trees were whispering slowly and steadily. It seemed everything was quite peaceful in the wood right now. The trees could see the Lothlorien group. She could hear her name on the breeze as well as her friends'. She smiled. The trees had always known so much more than any other race in Middle Earth, even the Elves. She thought for a moment that if everyone would just stand still for a moment, and all time would stop and they could just think, how much calmer and peaceful the world would be. Everyone could consider their actions, their need and wants. Of course, Rîniel considered inwardly, perhaps this was the reminder that Yavanna, Vala of all green growing things, had in mind when she pleaded with Manwë (King of the Valar) to let her create the tree shepherds, who protected all the beautiful things like flowers and leaves, and the baby trees that sought to grow up great in the woods. Rîniel had always loved the innocence of the good growing things. She volunteered to take care of Galadriel's elanor flowers on the grassy terraces beneath the palace flet. That was one reason she was eager to reach the forest. She wanted to see how beautiful the flowers were there.

A hand waved in front of her face. She jumped and looked up. Tatharwen was standing there, looking at her friend sternly. "Wake up, oltheth! What did I just speak of?"

Rîniel shrugged, a tiny smile in the corners of her eyes. "I apologize mellon nin. It seems I did not understand your speech." She bluffed to make Tatharwen snort in laughter.

"Of course you didn't understand me! You weren't even listening. You can't fool me mellon. I asked you to accompany me to the river across that hill. It will lead us to the forest edge, but there we will be picking berries that are known for their ruín juice." Tatharwen turned red and looked away for a moment. "...I thought it would be nice to have some dye for a beaded necklace I am making for the merrymaking in Greenwood."

Rîniel's mouth curved up at the corners. "You jest, Tatharwen! I have never known you to be interested in jewels for any kind of circumstance."

Tatharwen blushed pink this time. "It is just for this celebration. I plan to make the most of it." She pulled Rîniel to her feet and looked down her nose at Rîniel. "Do not speak of this to Dúlinneth, or you shall rue it greatly."

Rîniel laughed and mockingly cowered. "As you wish, my lady."

Tatharwen rolled her eyes. "Come now." She led Rîniel from their resting place. A guard started to follow them and she brushed him off. "No need for that, Aewon. We will not be far." He bowed and left them.

They walked into the forest and immediately the atmosphere changed. A wild, sweet scent reached their noses and they could hear the creaking and groaning of the huge limbs of the trees as they swayed in the breeze. Huge
roots twisted out of the ground like old archways and ruins of bridges.