Reunited

The 21rst of Ringare, TA 658, Yenearsira

The halls of Lothlorien were alive with laughter, merry smiles and peaceful joy.

'Twas the night of the Winter Equinox, and great celebration would go on into the night.

Rîniel smiled softly as Maerdes placed her silver circlet on her brow. It had been fifty years since they had visited the halls of the elvenking, and not much had changed. Perhaps her eyes were a bit more haunted, but they were also lighter with wisdom and kindness. Tatharwen and Dúlinneth were still playfully fighting each other, and Maerdes still kept them all in check with her cool, practical placidity.

Galadriel had taken new young elleth into her train two decades ago, and in order that Rîniel not be separated from her friends, had assigned Tatharwen, Dúlinneth, and Maerdes as Rîniel's own handmaidens. They had all rejoiced in the fact, and they adored Rîniel and served her as well as they could. Of course, she secretly thought they caused more trouble than help sometimes. Ah, well. Friends were gifts.

"Thank you, mellon." She stood up, fastening the green bracelet gifted to her by Thranduil years ago. The faint thrum of energy pulsed through her. It wasn't as strong now that she was away from the trees of Eryn Galen, but it still worked. "Is there anything I can do to assist you?"

"No." Maerdes smiled at her. Her brown hair matched the navy blue garment she wore. "You look stunning, Rîniel. I feel you shall be the starlight itself at the celebration tonight."

Rîniel blushed and looked down at her dress. It was pure white, with a simple gauze draped over her shoulders and trailing on the ground. She had never been one for much ornament. None of the Galadhrim or royalty in Lothlorien had. Her bracelet and a single bouquet of elanor flowers at her bosom was all she wore of ornament. "You flatter me so, Maerdes."

"I do with no shame. Just don't muss it tonight when playing with the children, and I shall be content." Maerdes teased back.

Tatharwen nodded her head approvingly from the corner of the room, where she had just finished donning her own pale purple garment. Her red hair flashed and green eyes twinkled as she tossed her head. "Maerdes, Rîniel is not an elfling anymore. Her training under Our Lady has done much for her manners."

Maerdes turned around and glared at the impetuous elleth. "I am fully aware of Rîniel's abilities, it is just precaution. You, on the other hand, will not be able to resist sneaking away to be with the horses during the middle of the party. And then you come traipsing back, with straw in your hair and soil on your frock, and expect me to find you a suitable partner!"

Tatharwen shrugged her narrow shoulders. "Let me make it clear. You are not obliged to find a partner for me, and my dress is my own to use how I like." Maerdes just sighed. Tatharwen smirked, but continued more gently when Rîniel gave her a warning look. "However, I appreciate your efforts, my friend. Hannon le. But I am afraid you have many years of work ahead of you to make me a more proper elleth."

A cry suddenly came from the closet. Dúlinneth stumbled out, a few chosen items falling out of her hands as she did so. She crouched to pick them up, her face frantic and unsettled. Rîniel frowned. That was odd for Dúlinneth, who was usually buzzing with excitement and energy when the times of feasting came about.

"Is there something I can help you with, Dúlinneth?" She asked worriedly, as her friend tried to pick up a hair pin, unsuccessfully.

Dúlinneth looked up, relief showing on her face. "Yes. Yes, that would be absolutely wonderful." Rîniel pulled her to her feet. "I need my hair fixed one more time. Do I look fine?" She whirled to look in the mirror.