The Celebration

The 11th of Viresse
608 TA

Breathe in, breathe out. Focus.

"All kinsmen and Children of Eru, greet Celeborn Galadhonion and Galadriel Finarfinien, Lord and Lady of Lothlorien and Rulers of Light, Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood, Servants of Ilúvatar."

A roar of cheers greeted the two as they stepped down the steps.

Breathing. Breathing.

"Greet Lord Gildaer, Lord Ruichanar, and Lady Lhénis, Councilors of Celeborn and Servants of Ilúvatar."

"Greet the fair ladies of Lothlorien, handmaidens of Galadriel, Servants of Ilúvatar."

More cheering as she paused, clenching her hands in her skirt. She could see her friends passing her, waving and smiling at the crowd.

In out, in out.

"Greet Rîniel Celebornien, Chosen Handmaiden of Galadriel and Handmaiden of Lothlorien, Councilor of Celeborn and Daughter of Remembrance, Servant of Ilúvatar." And thus as Rîniel appeared in the vision of the people of Mirkwood, she heard her full title for the first time.

Time seemed to stop for a split second as she stood at the top of the stair. She looked upon the sea of faces and far away her mind flew with her. She felt as if she had been transported to another time. The sun was out and shone with a rich golden youthfulness, and the very grass seemed to cry out with song. Suddenly before her stood a tall, dark haired stern ellon and he was bowing to someone behind her. No, he was bowing to her. A deep voice called out from above her head. "Greet Ereinion Gil-Galad, High King of the Ñoldor, King of the High Elves, King of Lindon, King of Eriador, King of the West, and Instrument of Ilúvatar." Then the vision faded into light and a resounding voice spoke. "The Valar have given you the courage of Gil-Galad, Rîniel. Do not fail your appointed task."

Rîniel took a deep, shuddering breath as she was drawn back to the present. Her head was surprisingly clear and alert, for she immediately smiled and bowed her head to the people and descended the stairs to Galadriel and Celeborn below.

When she stood with them again, Celeborn looked curiously her way before turning around again. Her head was high and her eyes were flashing with a new light as she walked with her friends. The crowd parted for them as they advanced towards the dais on which the elvenking sat.

Rîniel now noticed that they were actually not in the palace any more. They were in a colonnade, the twisted branching pillars touching at the top. It was a huge rectangle with torches lining every side. The grass tickled her sandaled feet and the starlight wind brushed her face. She furtively glanced towards the dais. There was a table, and pillows and cushions, and in the middle two ornate chairs stood guard. She didn't have to look to know who sat there.

The whole group stopped at the foot of the table. Celeborn and Galadriel advanced higher up the steps and clenched their fists to their hearts. "Gi suilon, King Thranduil." Celeborn called out."

"And I you, kinsman." A deep, cold voice sounded from above. Rîniel could still not bring herself to look up. Exactly where is that courage the vision spoke of just now? She grumbled in her mind. Her head was still crystal clear, and she felt different somehow. Yet she was still timid of that notorious elvenking!

She listened to the greetings between Celeborn and Galadriel and Thranduil, which were of course just ceremony since they had met with him already. The leading council members also were introduced. Then she heard her name. "Come, Rîniel, my daughter."