Love From Afar

My dearest Rîniel, faithful friend and long-neglected sister,

What can I write to appease your heart after being so greatly separated. Truly Rîniel, I am grieved to know that all my letters to Lothlorien have been written in vain. No mention was made of your departure to the Greenwood, and for many an hour I have wondered as to the cause of your silence. Our friends in Lothlorien all tell me the letters from you have been infrequent there as well... a fact which I try not to dwell on too much.

Truly, sister, I admire you deeply for your courage. My father walks once more with a weight upon his shoulders, worried about the darkness growing east of the mountains. My mother comforts him, but even my mind, dulled with the feeling of peace and happiness everywhere I look, knows that my brothers often leave for the mountain passes and do not return for many moons.

How do you stand living amongst such terrible shadow? Are you truly safe among the People of the Wood, Rîniel? I worry for you; perhaps foolishly, for I know but what the stories say about the Woodland realm. Someday, I shall have my father send for you to spend many seasons amongst the high Ñoldor society here in Rivendell. We shall have such gay times, and you shall see why my mother and I tire of parties and long for the seclusion of Haruni and Haru's peaceful place.

A little bird sits on my shoulder as I write this, a russet colored finch with a noble look in his eye. I believe he finds it curious that I sit still enough not to disturb him. Oh, Rîniel, write me and tell me of the Woodland creatures in the king's dwelling. Does the air flow freely through the vast palaces, and does the light bring green things of all kinds to enlace the columns in finery? If so, I see why you wish reside there.

I received a packet of letters from Lothlorien today. Of course, Haru is ever old-fashioned and sends his love on an yellowed piece of parchment, unscented and lovely. I can almost imagine his library when I look at it. Haruni never sends much, just a few pieces of poetry on her curiously gleaming sheets. She knows she can choose to communicate with me in other...unconventional, ways.

Lady Tatharwen and Lady Maerdes miss you terribly. I believe their loving hands long to perform their duties about your dressage once more. Tatharwen complains she has spent too much time teaching Silvan girls the makings of the Lothlorien cloaks. She says their fingers are "used to making weapons and punching ellyn, not holding a delicate needle." Of course, she is a bit biased because even I know the Silvan ladies are skilled in their own garments, but she makes me laugh. Truthfully, I think she's envious of their culture...perhaps she misses her simpler days as a woodland child. Lady Maerdes is proper and kind, asking about my reading materials and gushing over the minute description you sent her of your harvest garment. She spends many of her days about Haruni's person, it would seem. Oh, I wish I had your ladies in waiting. Mine are conniving, power hungry noble's daughters, all in love with my brothers and far too dense to realize the gravity of the problems the elven races face. I'm glad for the honor of my brothers' characters...perhaps you shall meet them someday, and I will have the opportunity to call you sister in an entirely different sense! I do love teasing you, Rîniel.

I have been in close correspondence with Warden Haldir, Rîniel. He speaks of you often...ever tenderly and affectionately, even if it is just in the way he adds an extra swirl at the end of your name. Surely, you are aware of his deep desire for you to come home? I should think that if you had an ellon who so wanted to have you close...you would endeavor to gratify his desire. But what do I know...I have never fancied anyone, a fact that continually worries my mother. Do write him, Rîniel. He's weighed down with the yearnings of his heart and darkness in the border forests.

As I close this letter, I shall include a missive ada wanted to send to you. I think he's being overly cautious, but many times he has warned and 'twas truth, so do listen to him, sister.