To the Greenwood

The 16th of Sulime,
608 TA

Rîniel was found by her three friends the next morning. The whole household had been looking for her, and Dúlinneth was the first to suggest they try the balcony. Rîniel was curled up in a corner when Tatharwen gently called her out of her sleep-state. She smiled tiredly at her three worried seekers. "Quel amrun, melloneamin. Mankoi naa lle sinome? " She questioned.

The threesome looked at each other nervously. "Considering this is not your normal sleeping quarters, Rîniel, I think we should be asking you the same question." Maerdes stated. Rîniel looked befuddled for a moment before looking around and comprehending.

"Aiya!" She rubbed her forehead vigorously. "The memory. It was just a memory!" She seemed to try and reassure herself. Then she realized what she had said and repeated hastily, lest they would find out about her gift. "A dream."

"A dream then. You had a dream." Maerdes nodded vigorously. She seemed relieved to find that Rîniel was not going crazy. She beckoned to her friends. "Now that we have that sorted out, let's go prepare Rîniel for our departure. I will send someone to tell the Lord and Lady that she is well and safe." Tatharwen and Dúlinneth agreed and pulled Rîniel gently to her feet.

"Thank you melloneamin. I need to keep my head about me. This is an important journey and I am grateful to have you with me," Rîniel said quickly, trying to cover up her obvious unease and exhausted movements. The weakness wasn't going away as quickly this time. Must be the stress of leaving her home for the first time.

The maidens quickly helped Rîniel bathe and dress, and then brought her down to the grassy terrace beneath the palace flet. The company was gathered there, a few servants, ten or more soldiers, and the Royal party, consisting of Celeborn, Galadriel, Rîniel, and Galadriel's maidens. Galadriel hastened to the ellith when she saw them enter. "Where have you been, melamin Rîniel? Amin dele ten' lle.

Rîniel smiled, stifling a yawn and gave her a look. Galadriel peered deep into Rîniel's eyes and her brows furrowed. "I see. Well, you are just tired then." She bluffed easily. "Come, all of you, mount your horses and let us ride. We want to be well on our way to Greenwood by nightfall."

Rîniel walked up to her horse, whom she had lovingly named Glî many years ago when she was young. As she was fixing the bridle, Haldir popped out from the other side of the horse. She jumped and Haldir smirked and bowed. "May I be of assistance, my lady? Someone as fair as yourself should not mount her horse alone."

"I would be honored, my lord. But first, help me tend to my horse. You obviously startled her with your impromptu appearance. At least, you startled me." Rîniel laughed, playing along. Glî shook her mane disapprovingly and shifted on her feet. "Dina, Glî. Uuma dela." Rîniel scolded lightly.

Haldir shook his head. "You could have any horse at your beck and call, Rîniel loborphen. You have no need of my assistance. But," he added as he held Rîniel's hand as she mounted, "I will give you some words of help on how to act in Greenwood."

Rîniel rolled her eyes and innocently looked down at Haldir. "And what would that be, Haldir Findion? Do you not trust me to act accordingly to my wont?"

Haldir tightened his grasp on her hand that he had still not let go of. "I have my reasons." He said somewhat tensely. But then he relaxed. "Don't talk to any unfamiliar elves unless they approach you first. And don't go traipsing off into the woods alone. I have heard rumors that that forest gets more dangerous over passing time. And above all, Rîniel, please don't let your memories take control of the time you are going to have there! I want you home, safe and rested, not worn and grouchy." He stared at her sternly.

"Yes, my lord." Rîniel said meekly. "Spoken like a true father."

"A friend, Rîniel. A friend." He corrected and then reluctantly stepped back from her horse and bowed. "Please give my greetings to the king, if it pleases him to see you. Vanya sulie."

"Tenna telwan san'. " Rîniel replied cheerfully and guided her horse behind Galadriel's.

Dúlinneth rode up to her. "This is going to be so exciting! I cannot wait to see the ancient halls of that kingdom. It gives me shivers! The only other place I have been was Rivendell, and that was when I was still an elfling and any sort of travel bored me to death." She pouted and then asked Rîniel, "Are you ready? I know there are lots of handsome Silvan ellyn that would be glad for an audience with you, poikaer." She said slyly.

Rîniel huffed at the impulsive elleth. "We are not going to look for husbands, we are going for a coming of age celebration and for a peace talk! That is all, Dúlinneth."

"She is right, of course," came a voice from behind. Tatharwen rode up on her stallion. She had insisted that she would have a fiery horse like her own personality, and she had named it Caranor. Caranor bared his teeth at the other horses, and Tatharwen scolded him gently before continuing. "You were always too hasty, Dúlinneth. I wouldn't be surprised if you are indeed the first one to pick up a husband. I for one, will be content to wait until one of those foolish ellyn has to drop at my feet before I consider."

Dúlinneth was about to retort when Celeborn called for the company to fall into order. Rîniel silenced both of them with another look then took her place with Maerdes.

As they passed out of the city, Rîniel looked back, and saw Haldir standing alone on a guard flet, his hand raised in farewell. The gates closed behind them, and Rîniel faced forward again to answer a question given her by Maerdes.

•-•

Quel amrun, melloneamin: (Q) Good morning, my friends.

Mankoi naa lle sinome?: (Q) What are you doing here?

Melamin: my love

Amin dele ten' lle: I was worried about you

Dina: be silent

Umma dela: Don't worry

Loborphen: Horsewoman

Vanya sulie: Fair winds

Tenna' telwan san': Until later then

Poikaer: pure one