What's Hidden Underneath

Coirë (Stirring, Pre-Spring) 3rd month, year 1101 TA

Lady Rîniel, Handmaiden of Galadriel, Honored Ambassador to the Greenwood Realm,

This invitation is graciously extended to you by Mistress Dureth of the House of Saeben, requesting your presence at four tomorrow for a meal and music, followed by quality conversation and games. Your presence is most sought.

With respect,
Lady Dureth, Hostess of the Court of Thranduil Oropherion

Rîniel closed the slip of paper calmly, tucking it inside her satchel as she studied the sun dial in one of the lower gardens. If she was correct, the House of Saeben was only just outside the main fortress' walls. And if she was also correct, the sprawling home in front of her was one in the same.

Immediately, she was repulsed. There was no mistake that Lady Dureth was a perfect homemaker. The gardens were spotless, the home's exterior walls perfectly stoned and inlayed with wood colored russet and gold, but the house itself looked unlike one that should grace the front of the elvenking's palace. It had too much of its own characteristic quality...and it was quiet.

Rîniel paused to listen to the gardens before letting her guards lead her into the breezy entrance. There were no birds singing softly in the trees. Even the wind was still, and although Rîniel tried to hear, the trees near her were neither humming nor whispering. She shook her head. Perhaps the Lady of the House did not like birds...it wouldn't surprise Rîniel in the least.

It was only a moment before the home's guardian bowed and left her at the door to a sunlit room. Her guards made to position themselves on either side of the door before she shook her head firmly. "At ease, my lords."

One's gruff tone came from his helmet hesitatingly. "But, my lady-"

She only giggled and shooed them away, before stepping in the room to greet her hosts.

She immediately raised one eyebrow as she dipped into a curtsy, noting the curious silence of the room as well

She immediately raised one eyebrow as she dipped into a curtsy, noting the curious silence of the room as well. Lady Dureth stood motionless beside her chair, the characteristic dark blue of her garment choice standing out from the pearl of the walls. Lord Daechir stood silently behind her with his hand on her back, his eyes twinkling merrily at the newcomer. Lord Silevion stood hastily on her entrance, bowing low while attempting to shuffle the unruly stack of books on the table back into place. He rose, and there was enough silence to hear a pin drop before Lady Dureth spoke.

"Lady Rîniel, how good of you to come," greeted the elleth calmly, moving to curtsy before Rîniel.

Rîniel stepped forward eagerly, glad that someone had at last spoke. "It is my pleasure, my lady. My lords," she said, curtsying again to both.