An Invitation

The 15th of Sulime,
608 TA

A silvery laugh echoed through the dining hall. Three ellith were capering about and giggling over a parchment held in the tallest one's hand. The cool breeze gently fanned the gauzy curtains, and caused the lamps to flicker merrily. The tallest elleth laughed again and sprinted away, holding the parchment high in the air. The other two shrieked and ran after her. Unfortunately for them at that moment a particularly strong gust of wind caught a curtain and twisted it off the wall. It hit the tallest elleth making her to stumble and fall. The other two gasped and tried to stop themselves from falling on her, but all of them ended up in a very ungraceful, non-elf-like fashion on the floor. A low chuckle caused them to whip around and stare sheepishly towards the door. Celeborn  stood watching the scene quite amusedly, and apparently quite oblivious to the fact that the giggling trio had managed to knock a few tables and chairs down in their fun. Celeborn hated things out of their places.

"Hmm, what do we have here? A few naughty maidens caught shirking their duties in order to chase after a letter like a love sick elleth chases after her hero? Mae govannen." Celeborn asked calmly, with a smile twitching in the corners of his mouth. The maidens blushed and glared at Celeborn while righting themselves.

"Nonsense my lord! We were merely exclaiming over a letter sent to the Lady inviting all eligible ellith and ellyn that have come of age in the past two years to a celebration feast... In none other than the wonderful forest of Greenwood!" The tallest one stated calmly.

The two others gasped and turned to her again. "You didn't tell us that!" Squealed Dúlinneth, the smallest elleth present. She tried to snatch the precious piece of paper again. "All you said was that the hand maidens of Galadriel were specifically asked to attend a party!"

The tall one, whose name was Tatharwen, sniffed. "It was confidential. I could not possibly give out all the information to you because you talk too much. The only one I would fully trust with information intended for our Lady Galadriel ONLY, would be Lady Rîniel, who is not currently present." She sighed when Dúlinneth scowled and tried to grab the paper again.

The third elleth, whose name was Maerdes, had been quiet until now when she respectfully asked Celeborn, "What is it you require of us my lord?"

Celeborn shook his head and smiled at the three very different ellith before him. Dúlinneth was talkative and energetic, while Maerdes was always straight to the point and calm. Tatharwen was impatient and forward, but always honest to a fault. All three of them were chosen for handmaidens because of their unique personalities and charms. Galadriel could not stand a lukewarm, complacent feä. However, the girls had developed a deeper respect and friendship bond with Rîniel more than Galadriel, and the friendship of the foursome often got them into mischief, like it did today.

Celeborn strode up to the crestfallen Tatharwen and took the letter from her hand. "Well, young one, looks like you let the 'confidential' information out. I will personally see this letter to its rightful place. Thank you. And perhaps I should have a talk with the Lady about allowing her maidens to handle 'confidential' information by themselves, yes?"

The maidens all bowed quickly and filed out of the room, shooting daggers at each other because their fun was squelched.  Celeborn leaned up against a pillar and groaned.

"To think that after all these centuries of helping solve the problems that could rock Arda's foundations and throw the stars out of place, the Valar still saw it fit to give me the task of making sure my wife's hand maidens stay focused and out of trouble!" Celeborn grumbled to himself as he righted the tables again.

"Perhaps if you would let them have their fun, you would be more happy when your daughters aren't around to entertain you." Chided a melodic voice from the doorway. Galadriel glided in and folded her arms defiantly. "And perhaps I would have a more peaceful and relaxed husband for a change. Hmm, would that be nice, meleth?" Galadriel laughed softly.

Celeborn's stern faced softened as it always did when he was alone with his wife. "Nae, but you speak the truth, however angry you might be when you say it. Perhaps reading this letter will give you something else to think about besides my shortcomings?" Celeborn asked helpfully.

Galadriel quirked an eyebrow at him and unrolled the message. Her eyes scanned the page and widened as she finished. She turned back to Celeborn who was watching curiously. "This is most curious. We never hear anything from Greenwood. That elvenking has been too proud to contact us since that fateful day in The Last Alliance. It seems he wishes to open up contact again and requests us to meet him for a yearly coming of age celebration in Greenwood. He requests us to bring all eligible youth in our service along." Galadriel contemplated for a moment. "This could mean trade and another alliance if we think it right." She nodded to her husband. "We shall do this. I will bring my ellith and you bring any ellyn you might need. We need to only travel with one company of soldiers now that the Orc raids have diminished. We leave next month."

Celeborn only nodded. He had never been fond of traveling. But, if it was needed to put him on good terms with his old friend's son, he would do so. "Of course, meleth. We need shall need Thranduil's alliance if," his face darkened with foreboding, "if your mirror does not lie."

Galadriel only nodded and took his arm. They walked out of the hall together.

•-•

Mae Govannen: well met (a traditional elvish 'hello.'

Meleth: love (noun)