Seventeen: Pain

Were my eyes deceiving me? Or was my mother actually standing in front of me?  

"....Mom?" I slipped out without meaning to. My voice was low but she still looked over at me, her eyes widening when she realized who I was. We both just stood there, having a staring match when my phone rung, breaking me out of my trance. I took it out and saw that it was Chris.  

"Hello?" I answered.  

"Hey, Babe, I finished at the studio, so I thought I'd meet you at the mall. Where are you?" He asked.  

"I'm......in Toys R Us." It took me a minute to process his words.  

"Kay, I'll be there in a minute." He hung up and I just dropped my phone into my purse which was next to Alyssa.  

"H....Hazel?" My mother finally said. I gulped and tried to gather my surroundings.  

"Um...hey." I managed to get out. "H-how have you been?" She didn't answer me, she just walked closer, still staring at me as if I was imaginary. She looked so shocked and I thought she was about to run off but then she exhaled.  

"I-I'm fine actually. You?" She finally said.  

"Good. Life...it's good. I'm engaged." Her eyes widened even more and I thought her eyeballs were about to pop out.  

"T..t-that's great!" She looked so nervous and started wringing her hands.  

"Daaaaa!" Alyssa started making noises again. I turned around and shushed her but then she just gave me a "oh no you didn't" look.  

"W-who's that?" Mom asked.  

"Oh, this is Alyssa, my baby girl. She's the youngest." I answered.  

"Youngest?"  

"Out of 4 kids." I said. Just then, I felt arms around my waist.  

"Hey." Chris kissed my forehead.  

"Um, Chris, this is..my mother, Allison, Mom, this is my fiancé, Chris." I introduced. Chris gave me a surprised look and my mother was just gazing at him.  

"Hehe, n-nice to meet you." Mom said.  

"Same here." Chris looked uncomfortable and turned his attention to Alyssa.  

"Mama, we're back!" Sophia, Andrea and Damien walked back up, holding three toys instead of two. I gave them a glare so they put two of their toys in the cart and held on to the third one.  

"Mama, who's that?" Sophia asked. I saw that Mom was just staring at Sophia, her mouth slightly open.  

"Kids, this is my mother. Say hello." I said.  

"Hi!" Andrea happily greeted. Damien did the same but Sophia gave her a shy hello and hid behind Chris.  

"Does that mean she's our grandma?" Damien asked, looking up at me. I looked at Chris not knowing what to say. She didn't deserve to be a grandmother after what she did. She just left me and Sophia to fend for ourselves, could I ever forgive her for that?  

I gripped the cart tighter, trying to hold myself together.  

"Uh, kids put that in the cart and go pick out one more toy." Chris said quickly.  

"Yay! More toys!" They nearly threw the last toy in and took off back down one of the aisles.  

"Hazel..." I heard Mom say as Chris wrapped his arms around me. "I'd like to talk to you sometime if that's okay with you."  

"You want....to talk?" I turned around to face her. "It's been 7 years since I've last seen you and you want to TALK?! No! We can talk now! How about starting with all the bullshit you put me through!" I screamed at her, not even caring that people in the store were staring.